Scott Hanko
St. Peter's Catholic Church
Construction of St. Peter's Catholic Church in Lower Town, Harpers Ferry, started in 1830 and was completed in 1833. It was the third church built in Harpers Ferry, and the only church not located on government land. Before 1830, the nearest Catholic Church was located in Martinsburg, several miles to the northwest of Harpers Ferry. Reverend John Gildea was the first pastor of St. John Catholic parish, which was established in Martinsburg in 1825, with Harpers Ferry assigned to him as a mission. In 1830, Church officials decided that the number of persons seeking to attend Catholic services in Harpers Ferry had increased to a sufficient level to justify construction of a new parish there. By some accounts, Father Gildea had arranged for an earlier Catholic church to be built in the late 1820's along Shenandoah Street in Lower Town, but it was promptly destroyed by a flood.
Several churches of different denominations were established in Harpers Ferry over the period of 1825 through 1852. The Free Church was Harpers Ferry's first, built in 1825 on property adjacent to the location of St. Peter's. It was destroyed by fire in 1845, and St. John's Episcopal Church was built on the same property in 1852. Other churches established in Harpers Ferry included a Methodist Episcopal church in 1828, St. Peter's in 1833, a Presbyterian church in 1841, Methodist Protestant in 1843, and Lutheran in 1850. Before the establishment of these churches, Armory managers complained about the lack of a focal point for maintaining the moral and religious discipline of Armory workers and their families, and residents often met in assembly areas such as workshops for Sunday services.
A May 5, 1830, notice in the Virginia Free Press sought financial contributions for the building of the new St. Peter's parish: "'Subscriptions have been opened at Harpers Ferry, for the erection of a Roman Catholic Church at that place; and it is stated that liberal contributions have been made by persons of other denominations, as well as by members of that Society. A cornerstone was set on October 15, 1830, and construction started in that year, even though the property had not yet been fully conveyed to the Church. John Tearney, a master stone mason, supervised construction of the first Church building.
A May 9, 1833, article in the Virginia Free Press described the creation of this new parish as follows:
The new Catholic Church at Harpers Ferry was consecrated on Sunday last [May 5, 1833], by Archbishop Whitefield of Baltimore, aided by the Rev. [John] Gildea, and two other clergymen from Marylan. Indisposition prevented us from witnessing the ceremony, but we learn that it was interesting and imposing.
The Church is a very neat edifice, built upon ground given by the Wager family. It does great credit to the indefatigable Pastor, under whose auspices it was commenced and finished, and to the community who contributed to its erection, - It stands upon the western hill, and adds much to the village by way of ornament. (Smith 1959: 7, quoting Virginia Free Press.
Harpers Ferry-West Virginia
St. Peter's Catholic Church
Construction of St. Peter's Catholic Church in Lower Town, Harpers Ferry, started in 1830 and was completed in 1833. It was the third church built in Harpers Ferry, and the only church not located on government land. Before 1830, the nearest Catholic Church was located in Martinsburg, several miles to the northwest of Harpers Ferry. Reverend John Gildea was the first pastor of St. John Catholic parish, which was established in Martinsburg in 1825, with Harpers Ferry assigned to him as a mission. In 1830, Church officials decided that the number of persons seeking to attend Catholic services in Harpers Ferry had increased to a sufficient level to justify construction of a new parish there. By some accounts, Father Gildea had arranged for an earlier Catholic church to be built in the late 1820's along Shenandoah Street in Lower Town, but it was promptly destroyed by a flood.
Several churches of different denominations were established in Harpers Ferry over the period of 1825 through 1852. The Free Church was Harpers Ferry's first, built in 1825 on property adjacent to the location of St. Peter's. It was destroyed by fire in 1845, and St. John's Episcopal Church was built on the same property in 1852. Other churches established in Harpers Ferry included a Methodist Episcopal church in 1828, St. Peter's in 1833, a Presbyterian church in 1841, Methodist Protestant in 1843, and Lutheran in 1850. Before the establishment of these churches, Armory managers complained about the lack of a focal point for maintaining the moral and religious discipline of Armory workers and their families, and residents often met in assembly areas such as workshops for Sunday services.
A May 5, 1830, notice in the Virginia Free Press sought financial contributions for the building of the new St. Peter's parish: "'Subscriptions have been opened at Harpers Ferry, for the erection of a Roman Catholic Church at that place; and it is stated that liberal contributions have been made by persons of other denominations, as well as by members of that Society. A cornerstone was set on October 15, 1830, and construction started in that year, even though the property had not yet been fully conveyed to the Church. John Tearney, a master stone mason, supervised construction of the first Church building.
A May 9, 1833, article in the Virginia Free Press described the creation of this new parish as follows:
The new Catholic Church at Harpers Ferry was consecrated on Sunday last [May 5, 1833], by Archbishop Whitefield of Baltimore, aided by the Rev. [John] Gildea, and two other clergymen from Marylan. Indisposition prevented us from witnessing the ceremony, but we learn that it was interesting and imposing.
The Church is a very neat edifice, built upon ground given by the Wager family. It does great credit to the indefatigable Pastor, under whose auspices it was commenced and finished, and to the community who contributed to its erection, - It stands upon the western hill, and adds much to the village by way of ornament. (Smith 1959: 7, quoting Virginia Free Press.
Harpers Ferry-West Virginia