Back to gallery

errare humanum est

Messberghof / Ballinhaus, Hamburg

 

Named after the prominent ship owner Albert Ballin, the Ballinhaus was one of the first buildings in the Kontorhaus District, built at the same time as the Chilehaus (1922–1924) and based on plans by the architects Hans and Oskar Gerson. In 1938 it was renamed Messberghof (based on its location) following a directive by the Reich Governor Karl Kaufmann that all streets and buildings called after Jews must be given new names. On the inside the building still contains the original entrance hall with this very impressive round stairwell. The floors are made of polished light sandstone plates and the walls are faced with travertine or coloured tiles.

20,624 views
728 faves
132 comments
Uploaded on December 4, 2023
Taken on July 28, 2023