Homersfield bridge, Suffolk
Homersfield bridge is of considerable historic interest as a forerunner of modern reinforced concrete structures
In 1869 Sir Robert Alexander Shafto Adair, 1st. Barron Waveney of Flixton Hall commissioned Ipswich architect Henry Eyton to build a road bridge to replace the existing one spanning the River Waveney. The wrought iron framework of the arch is encased in concrete. The span is 48 ft. (14.65 m) and the bridge could carry a safe distributed load of 200 ton. It has an ornate open cast iron parapet and above the supporting arch a cast iron shield bearing the coat of arms of the Adair family. The bridge was completed by Messrs W. & T. Phillips of London in the early 1870's at a cost of £344.
In 1907 the bridge was surveyed by H. Miller, who noted that a chain and padlock were fitted in the centre of the bridge for one day a year, generally when the river was in full flood. A toll of 2d was charge although foot pedestrians crossed for free. Since that time the ownership and liability for the bridge fell into dispute, this confusing could well have saved the bridge from being demolished once it fell into disrepair.
In 1970 a new road bridge was constructed to carry A143 traffic across the River Waveney and since then the old bridge was neglected. An inspection in the late 1980's showed the concrete badly deteriorated, the ironwork corroded and ugly concrete post and rail fencing erected for safety measures.
in 1990 it was agreed that the bridge would be restored. After a lengthy process to determine ownership the bridge was compulsorily purchased by Norfolk County Council. Then £85,000 of funding was secured for the renovation by Norfolk Historic Building Trust and Suffolk Preservation Society.
A plaque on the bridge, erected by the Institution of Civil Engineers, describes it as 'The oldest concrete bridge in Great Britain'.
Homersfied bridge, which stands partly in the parishes of Homersfield in Suffolk and Alburgh and Wortwell in Norfolk, is now a foot and cycle bridge.
The bridge received Grade II* listed building status on 3rd. June 1981. (English Heritage Legacy ID: 282269).
.
Homersfield bridge, Suffolk
Homersfield bridge is of considerable historic interest as a forerunner of modern reinforced concrete structures
In 1869 Sir Robert Alexander Shafto Adair, 1st. Barron Waveney of Flixton Hall commissioned Ipswich architect Henry Eyton to build a road bridge to replace the existing one spanning the River Waveney. The wrought iron framework of the arch is encased in concrete. The span is 48 ft. (14.65 m) and the bridge could carry a safe distributed load of 200 ton. It has an ornate open cast iron parapet and above the supporting arch a cast iron shield bearing the coat of arms of the Adair family. The bridge was completed by Messrs W. & T. Phillips of London in the early 1870's at a cost of £344.
In 1907 the bridge was surveyed by H. Miller, who noted that a chain and padlock were fitted in the centre of the bridge for one day a year, generally when the river was in full flood. A toll of 2d was charge although foot pedestrians crossed for free. Since that time the ownership and liability for the bridge fell into dispute, this confusing could well have saved the bridge from being demolished once it fell into disrepair.
In 1970 a new road bridge was constructed to carry A143 traffic across the River Waveney and since then the old bridge was neglected. An inspection in the late 1980's showed the concrete badly deteriorated, the ironwork corroded and ugly concrete post and rail fencing erected for safety measures.
in 1990 it was agreed that the bridge would be restored. After a lengthy process to determine ownership the bridge was compulsorily purchased by Norfolk County Council. Then £85,000 of funding was secured for the renovation by Norfolk Historic Building Trust and Suffolk Preservation Society.
A plaque on the bridge, erected by the Institution of Civil Engineers, describes it as 'The oldest concrete bridge in Great Britain'.
Homersfied bridge, which stands partly in the parishes of Homersfield in Suffolk and Alburgh and Wortwell in Norfolk, is now a foot and cycle bridge.
The bridge received Grade II* listed building status on 3rd. June 1981. (English Heritage Legacy ID: 282269).
.