Bergh Apton, Norfolk
Bergh Apton is a village and parish in south Norfolk, 7 miles (11 km) south-east of Norwich.
In Saxon and Norman times Bergh Apton was two separate villages. Apton, meaning a ‘farm or enclosure belonging to Api’, lay to the north-west, and Bergh, from Old English, meaning a ‘hill or mound’, was to the south-east. Each village had its own church, Apton was served by the church of St. Martin, last recorded being used in 1555 with the remains being cleared in 1834. Bergh was served by the 14th. century church of St. Peter and St. Paul, which stands on a low hill overlooking the River Chet, marking the southern boundary of the now combined parish.
There is some evidence for early occupation in the parish. Mesolithic flints and Neolithic axes have been found, ans there are a number of Bronze Age barrows, mostly clustered in the east of the parish. The site of a possible Roman villa is in the south of the parish, where painted wall plaster, roof tile, pottery and coins have been found.
A late 5th. to late 6th. century Anglo Saxon burial site was discovered at Bergh Apton. The site was excavated in 1973 and although the south and west portions of the site had previously been destroyed, 63 graves were found. The state of preservation of the skeletal remains was described as 'very poor' due to the acidity of the soil. Grave goods found at the site included weapons, shields, spears and jewellery. One grave, possibly of a minstrel, was found to contain a lyre similar to that found at Sutton Hoo, in Suffolk. Twelve of the graves were those of children aged under 12 years. No evidence of an Anglo Saxon settlement adjacent to the cemetery has been found. The artefacts from the site are currently held by Norwich Castle Museum.
The village sign is double sided. This side shows, on the ground, a partially unrolled scroll, which is the will of Christopher Tenwinter, who in 1599 bequeathed 60 acres of land to the parish, on condition that 20 shillings was distributed to the poor annually. His ghostly likeness can be seen under the right side of the tree. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is in the background on the left and a tractor with a 5 share plough is on the right.
Bergh Apton, Norfolk
Bergh Apton is a village and parish in south Norfolk, 7 miles (11 km) south-east of Norwich.
In Saxon and Norman times Bergh Apton was two separate villages. Apton, meaning a ‘farm or enclosure belonging to Api’, lay to the north-west, and Bergh, from Old English, meaning a ‘hill or mound’, was to the south-east. Each village had its own church, Apton was served by the church of St. Martin, last recorded being used in 1555 with the remains being cleared in 1834. Bergh was served by the 14th. century church of St. Peter and St. Paul, which stands on a low hill overlooking the River Chet, marking the southern boundary of the now combined parish.
There is some evidence for early occupation in the parish. Mesolithic flints and Neolithic axes have been found, ans there are a number of Bronze Age barrows, mostly clustered in the east of the parish. The site of a possible Roman villa is in the south of the parish, where painted wall plaster, roof tile, pottery and coins have been found.
A late 5th. to late 6th. century Anglo Saxon burial site was discovered at Bergh Apton. The site was excavated in 1973 and although the south and west portions of the site had previously been destroyed, 63 graves were found. The state of preservation of the skeletal remains was described as 'very poor' due to the acidity of the soil. Grave goods found at the site included weapons, shields, spears and jewellery. One grave, possibly of a minstrel, was found to contain a lyre similar to that found at Sutton Hoo, in Suffolk. Twelve of the graves were those of children aged under 12 years. No evidence of an Anglo Saxon settlement adjacent to the cemetery has been found. The artefacts from the site are currently held by Norwich Castle Museum.
The village sign is double sided. This side shows, on the ground, a partially unrolled scroll, which is the will of Christopher Tenwinter, who in 1599 bequeathed 60 acres of land to the parish, on condition that 20 shillings was distributed to the poor annually. His ghostly likeness can be seen under the right side of the tree. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is in the background on the left and a tractor with a 5 share plough is on the right.