Back to photostream

Mason Williams Clock, Dunraven Place, Bridgend 24 March 2018

An advertising clock with history. It was set up over the jeweller's shop of L Beha and the shop, established in 1880, came to be known as "the shop under the clock". On the death of the last Beha in 1914, the shop was taken over by his business partner Edmond Needham who ran it until 1957 when the shop was bought by Mason Williams who added his name to the clock. Today, the shop is an Italian restaurant.

 

The clock was supplied by J. Smith & Sons, of Clerkenwell, London, around 1890 and a catalogue of 1880 to 1910 shows the clock and Victorian ornamental bracket in detail. It would appear that the likely cost was £60/68 ex works. J Smith & Sons made all types of clock from 1780 until 1938.

293 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on March 31, 2018
Taken on March 24, 2018