remains of the Trowbridge Store at Tybo, Nevada
Tybo, named for a word derived from the Shoshone, meaning “white man’s district, was was once a thriving mining town. In 1866 when a local Indian led white settlers to the site where he had discovered gold ore. The main lode discovered in 1871. The mine ultimately produced silver, lead and zinc. A smelter was built in 1872, but it would take several years before the town was officially established in 1874.
By 1877 the town had swelled to a population of about 1000. At one time, the town included five stores, a number of saloons, two blacksmith shops, a post office, a newspaper, a schoolhouse, a jail, whiskey shops, a literary society, and an International Order of Odd Fellows.
By 1879 the Tybo Consolidate Mining Company had started to fail when the quality of the ore dropped drastically . By 1880 town was practically dead and in 1884 a fire destroyed many of the remaining buildings.
The last production to come from Tybo between 1942 and 1945 when some old tailings were hauled out for treatment. A handful of people still live there and while much of the property is accessible to the public, portions of the area are privately owned.
remains of the Trowbridge Store at Tybo, Nevada
Tybo, named for a word derived from the Shoshone, meaning “white man’s district, was was once a thriving mining town. In 1866 when a local Indian led white settlers to the site where he had discovered gold ore. The main lode discovered in 1871. The mine ultimately produced silver, lead and zinc. A smelter was built in 1872, but it would take several years before the town was officially established in 1874.
By 1877 the town had swelled to a population of about 1000. At one time, the town included five stores, a number of saloons, two blacksmith shops, a post office, a newspaper, a schoolhouse, a jail, whiskey shops, a literary society, and an International Order of Odd Fellows.
By 1879 the Tybo Consolidate Mining Company had started to fail when the quality of the ore dropped drastically . By 1880 town was practically dead and in 1884 a fire destroyed many of the remaining buildings.
The last production to come from Tybo between 1942 and 1945 when some old tailings were hauled out for treatment. A handful of people still live there and while much of the property is accessible to the public, portions of the area are privately owned.