martingibson3
St Peter in Eastgate, Lincoln
The first church on the site was a Norman one, built in the 11th Century, and was one of forty-nine churches in Lincoln!
St Peter in Eastgate todayThis building was so badly damaged in the Civil War during the siege of 1643 that it became almost a ruin. In 1776 the church was pulled down, and a small “mean” church took its place in 1781. This proved inadequate for the larger congregations of Victoria’s reign, and in 1870 the present church was built. The East Window was designed by Ward and Hughes who were responsible for the Victorian glass in the North Aisle of the Cathedral Nave. The entire cost was £2,500. The architect was Sir Arthur Blomfield (to whom the famous novelist and poet, Thomas Hardy, was an architectural assistant until 1869).
In 1914 the south aisle was added to enlarge the church still more. This work has enhanced the architectural interest of St. Peter’s with magnificent stained glass windows. The Rood Screen was added at this time.
The three oldest survivals from the Tudor period are the Parish Registers begun in 1538 (now in the County Archives), an Elizabethan chalice of c. 1569 and the tombstone of a medieval mayor of the city.
St Peter in Eastgate, Lincoln
The first church on the site was a Norman one, built in the 11th Century, and was one of forty-nine churches in Lincoln!
St Peter in Eastgate todayThis building was so badly damaged in the Civil War during the siege of 1643 that it became almost a ruin. In 1776 the church was pulled down, and a small “mean” church took its place in 1781. This proved inadequate for the larger congregations of Victoria’s reign, and in 1870 the present church was built. The East Window was designed by Ward and Hughes who were responsible for the Victorian glass in the North Aisle of the Cathedral Nave. The entire cost was £2,500. The architect was Sir Arthur Blomfield (to whom the famous novelist and poet, Thomas Hardy, was an architectural assistant until 1869).
In 1914 the south aisle was added to enlarge the church still more. This work has enhanced the architectural interest of St. Peter’s with magnificent stained glass windows. The Rood Screen was added at this time.
The three oldest survivals from the Tudor period are the Parish Registers begun in 1538 (now in the County Archives), an Elizabethan chalice of c. 1569 and the tombstone of a medieval mayor of the city.