Back to photostream

England / East Sussex - Brighton

The Lanes

 

Brighton (/ˈbraɪtən/) is a seaside resort on the south coast of England that is part of the city of Brighton and Hove, located 47 miles (76 km) south of London.

 

Archaeological evidence of settlement in the area dates back to the Bronze Age, Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods. The ancient settlement of "Brighthelmstone" was documented in the Domesday Book (1086). The town's importance grew in the Middle Ages as the Old Town developed, but it languished in the early modern period, affected by foreign attacks, storms, a suffering economy and a declining population. Brighton began to attract more visitors following improved road transport to London and becoming a boarding point for boats travelling to France. The town also developed in popularity as a health resort for sea bathing as a purported cure for illnesses.

 

In the Georgian era, Brighton developed as a fashionable seaside resort, encouraged by the patronage of the Prince Regent, later King George IV, who spent much time in the town and constructed the Royal Pavilion in the Regency era. Brighton continued to grow as a major centre of tourism following the arrival of the railways in 1841, becoming a popular destination for day-trippers from London. Many of the major attractions were built in the Victorian era, including the Metropole Hotel (now Hilton) Grand Hotel, the West Pier, and the Brighton Palace Pier. The town continued to grow into the 20th century, expanding to incorporate more areas into the town's boundaries before joining the town of Hove to form the unitary authority of Brighton and Hove in 1997, which was granted city status in 2000. Today, Brighton and Hove district has a resident population of about 288,200 and the wider Brighton and Hove conurbation has a population of 474,485 (2011 census).

 

Brighton's location has made it a popular destination for tourists, renowned for its diverse communities, quirky shopping areas, large cultural, music and arts scene and its large LGBT population, leading to its recognition as the "unofficial gay capital of the UK". Brighton attracted 7.5 million day visitors in 2015/16 and 4.9 million overnight visitors, and is the most popular seaside destination in the UK for overseas tourists. Brighton has also been called the UK's "hippest city", and "the happiest place to live in the UK".

 

The first settlement in the Brighton area was Whitehawk Camp, a Neolithic encampment on Whitehawk Hill which has been dated to between 3500 BC and 2700 BC. It is one of six causewayed enclosures in Sussex. Archaeologists have only partially explored it, but have found numerous burial mounds, tools and bones, suggesting it was a place of some importance. There was also a Bronze Age settlement at Coldean. Brythonic Celts arrived in Britain in the 7th century BC, and an important Brythonic settlement existed at Hollingbury Castle on Hollingbury Hill. This Celtic Iron Age encampment dates from the 3rd or 2nd century BC and is circumscribed by substantial earthwork outer walls with a diameter of c. 1,000 feet (300 m). Cissbury Ring, roughly 10 miles (16 km) from Hollingbury, is suggested to have been the tribal "capital".

 

Later, there was a Roman villa at Preston Village, a Roman road from London ran nearby, and much physical evidence of Roman occupation has been discovered locally. From the 1st century AD, the Romans built a number of villas in Brighton and Romano-British Brythonic Celts formed farming settlements in the area. After the Romans left in the early 4th century AD, the Brighton area returned to the control of the native Celts. Anglo-Saxons then invaded in the late 5th century AD, and the region became part of the Kingdom of Sussex, founded in 477 AD by king Ælle.

 

Anthony Seldon identified five phases of development in pre-20th century Brighton. The village of Bristelmestune was founded by these Anglo-Saxon invaders, probably in the early Saxon period. They were attracted by the easy access for boats, sheltered areas of raised land for building, and better conditions compared to the damp, cold and misty Weald to the north. By the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 it was a fishing and agricultural settlement, a rent of 4,000 herring was established, and its population was about 400. Its importance grew from the Norman era onwards. By the 14th century there was a parish church, a market and rudimentary law enforcement (the first town constable was elected in 1285). Sacked and burnt by French invaders in the early 16th century—the earliest depiction of Brighton, a painting of c. 1520, shows Admiral Pregent de Bidoux's attack of June 1514—the town recovered strongly based on a thriving mackerel-fishing industry. The grid of streets in the Old Town (the present Lanes area) were well developed and the town grew quickly: the population rose from c. 1,500 in 1600 to c. 4,000 in the 1640s. By that time Brighton was Sussex's most populous and important town. Having lost the Battle of Worcester, King Charles II, after hiding for 42 days in various places, fled on the evening of 15 October 1651 in the "Surprise" from Brighthelmstone to his exile in Fécamp, France.

 

Over the next few decades, though, events severely affected its local and national standing, such that by 1730 "it was a forlorn town decidedly down on its luck". More foreign attacks, storms (especially the devastating Great Storm of 1703), a declining fishing industry, and the emergence of nearby Shoreham as a significant port caused its economy to suffer. By 1708 other parishes in Sussex were charged rates to alleviate poverty in Brighton, and Daniel Defoe wrote that the expected £8,000 cost of providing sea defences was "more than the whole town was worth". The population declined to 2,000 in the early 18th century.

 

From the 1730s, Brighton entered its second phase of development—one which brought a rapid improvement in its fortunes. The contemporary fad for drinking and bathing in seawater as a purported cure for illnesses was enthusiastically encouraged by Dr Richard Russell from nearby Lewes. He sent many patients to "take the cure" in the sea at Brighton, published a popular treatise on the subject, and moved to the town soon afterwards (the Royal Albion, one of Brighton's early hotels, occupies the site of his house). Others were already visiting the town for recreational purposes before Russell became famous, and his actions coincided with other developments which made Brighton more attractive to visitors. From the 1760s it was a boarding point for boats travelling to France; road transport to London was improved when the main road via Crawley was turnpiked in 1770; and spas and indoor baths were opened by other entrepreneurial physicians such as Sake Dean Mahomed and Anthony Relhan (who also wrote the town's first guidebook).

 

From 1780, development of the Georgian terraces had started, and the fishing village developed as the fashionable resort of Brighton. Growth of the town was further encouraged by the patronage of the Prince Regent (later King George IV) after his first visit in 1783. He spent much of his leisure time in the town and constructed the Royal Pavilion during the early part of his Regency. In this period the modern form of the name Brighton came into common use.

 

A permanent military presence was established in the city with the completion of Preston Barracks in 1793.

 

The arrival of the London and Brighton Railway in 1841 brought Brighton within the reach of day-trippers from London. The population grew from around 7,000 in 1801 to more than 120,000 by 1901. Many of the major attractions were built during the Victorian era, such as the Grand Hotel (1864), the West Pier (1866), and the Palace Pier (1899). Prior to either of these structures, the famous Chain Pier was built, to the designs of Captain Samuel Brown. It lasted from 1823 to 1896, and is featured in paintings by both Turner and Constable.

 

Because of boundary changes, the land area of Brighton expanded from 1,640 acres (7 km2) in 1854 to 14,347 acres (58 km2) in 1952. New housing estates were established in the acquired areas, including Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Coldean and Whitehawk. The major expansion of 1928 also incorporated the villages of Patcham, Ovingdean and Rottingdean, and much council housing was built in parts of Woodingdean after the Second World War. In 1997, Brighton and Hove were joined to form the unitary authority of Brighton and Hove, which was granted city status by Queen Elizabeth II as part of the millennium celebrations in 2000.

 

(Wikipedia)

 

The Lanes are a collection of narrow lanes in the city of Brighton and Hove, famous for their small shops (including several antique shops) and narrow alleyways.

 

The Lanes are commonly taken to be bounded by North Street to the north, Ship Street to the west and Prince Albert Street and the north side of Bartholomew Square to the south. The eastern boundary is less well-defined and can be considered either East Street or Market Street.

 

Meeting House Lane is one of the wider lanes which meets with the busy shopping road of North Street and eventually winds around to Market Street. The north end of Meeting House Lane meets North Street a few yards down the road from the southern end of North Laine which is not part of the Lanes.

 

History

 

The area that is now the Lanes was part of the original settlement of Brighthelmstone, but they were built up during the late 18th century and were fully laid out by 1792 which was after the supposed benefits of sea water had been publicised by Dr Richard Russell of Lewes, but before the Prince Regent made Brighton one of his homes by developing the Royal Pavilion.

 

Unlike many of the other lanes in this oldest part of Brighton, Dukes Lane, which leads off of Duke Street, was a "reproduction street" constructed in 1979 and is relatively new.

 

(Wikipedia)

 

Brighton [ˈbɹaɪtn] ist eine Stadt an der Küste des Ärmelkanals in der Grafschaft East Sussex und bildet zusammen mit dem unmittelbar angrenzenden Hove die Unitary Authority Brighton and Hove. Die Stadt ist das größte und bekannteste Seebad im Vereinigten Königreich. Die unabhängigen, aber räumlich zusammengewachsenen Gemeinden Brighton, Hove und Portslade schlossen sich 1997 zu Brighton & Hove zusammen, das im Jahr 2001 den Status einer City erhielt. Im Gegensatz zu den alten Cities verfügen sogenannte Millennium-Cities wie Brighton und Hove jedoch nicht über alle königlichen City-Privilegien, wie zum Beispiel einen Bischofssitz.

 

Auf dem Gebiet der späteren Stadt siedelten schon die Römer. Bei Ausgrabungen wurde eine römische Villa freigelegt. Die heutige Stadt Brighton geht auf eine angelsächsische Gründung aus dem 5. Jahrhundert zurück. In der ersten urkundlichen Erwähnung wird der Ort „Beorthelm’s-tun“ (town of Beorthelm) genannt, später „Bristemestune“ und im 16. Jahrhundert dann Brightelmstone, ehe der Ort 1660 erstmals Brighton geschrieben wird. Offiziell gilt dieser Name seit 1810.

 

1497 wurde ein erster Befestigungsturm in der Nähe des Ortes errichtet. Dennoch wurde das Fischerdorf im Jahr 1514 von der französischen Flotte während eines Krieges nach dem Treaty of Westminster (1511) zerstört und niedergebrannt. Der Ort wurde wieder aufgebaut und 1580 lebten 400 Fischer und 100 Bauern dort, mit ihren Familien also über 2000 Personen. Um 1660 soll Brighton sogar etwa 4.000 Einwohner gehabt haben, es war also keineswegs ein Dorf, wie mitunter behauptet wird. Im 17. Jahrhundert wurde der Fischfang, von dem die Bevölkerung überwiegend lebte, durch Kriege zwischen Franzosen und Holländern stark in Mitleidenschaft gezogen, da die Fischkutter oft nicht auslaufen konnten.

 

1703 und 1705 wurde der Ort durch schwere Stürme verwüstet. Es wurden nicht mehr alle zerstörten Häuser neu aufgebaut, denn die wirtschaftliche Krise hielt an, außerdem ging kontinuierlich Land entlang der Küste verloren, da es keine Deiche gab. Zu Anfang des 18. Jahrhunderts hatte Brighton nur noch etwa 1.500 Einwohner. 1750 veröffentlichte der Arzt Richard Russell aus Lewes eine Schrift über die gesundheitsfördernden Aspekte des Meerwassers, vor allem in Brighton. Er errichtete 1753 auf dem Grundstück Old Steine das damals größte Gebäude Brightons, in dem er wohnte und auch seine Patienten logierten, und schon bald machten sich wohlhabende Kranke auf den Weg an die Küste. Um 1780 entwickelte sich Brighton zu einem modischen Kurort. Diese Entwicklung wurde beschleunigt, als 1786 der junge Prinzregent (der spätere König George IV.) hier ein Landhaus kaufte, um den größten Teil seiner Freizeit dort zu verbringen. Er ließ es später zum exotisch aussehenden Royal Pavilion ausbauen, der bekanntesten Sehenswürdigkeit der Stadt. Er ähnelt von außen einem indischen Palast, während die Inneneinrichtung im Stil der Chinoiserie gehalten ist. Seit 1850 ist er im Besitz der Stadt.

 

Von 1770 bis 1795 wurden 635 neue Häuser in Brighton gebaut. Um 1820 wurden die Viertel Kemp Town und Brunswick Town errichtet. 1823 erhielt der Ort als ersten Pier den Chain pier, 1866 folgte der West Pier. Seit 1841 gab es eine Eisenbahnverbindung nach London. 1872 wurde ein großes Aquarium eingeweiht, damals eine internationale Attraktion. Aus Meyers Konversationslexikon von 1898 ist zu erfahren:

 

„Brighton hat drei Saisons im Lauf des Jahres. Im Mai und Juni ist es fast ausschließlich von den Familien der Londoner Kleinbürger (tradespeople) besucht, im Juli und August von Ärzten, Advokaten, Künstlern etc., und in den Herbst- und Wintermonaten, wenn es an der südlichen Seeküste sonnig warm ist, wimmelt es von Lords und Ladies, die vom Kontinent heimkehren. Die Zahl der Besucher, welche sich längere Zeit hier aufhalten, beträgt jährlich über 80.000“.

 

Im Jahre 1896 wurde Brighton Zielort eines der ältesten kontinuierlich ausgetragenen Autorennens der Welt, des heutigen London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. In diesem Rennen dürfen lediglich Fahrzeuge aus edwardianischer Zeit und den Urtagen der Automobilität teilnehmen, das heißt Fahrzeuge, die ein Baudatum vor dem Januar 1905 ausweisen können.

 

1930 wurden dann Deiche aufgeschüttet, um die Erosion durch den Seegang aufzuhalten. Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs wurde Brighton ebenso wie London von der deutschen Luftwaffe bombardiert. Über 5.000 Häuser wurden beschädigt oder zerstört.

 

Die Universität von Sussex wurde 1962 gegründet. Nachdem Brighton sein städtisches Polytechnikum „Universität“ nennt und die grafschaftliche Universität von East Sussex sich weit ab im Grünen, zwischen den Zivilgemeinden Stanmer und Falmer, aber noch auf Stadtgebiet von Brighton & Hove, niedergelassen hat, ist das Seebad auch eine Universitätsstadt mit zwei Universitäten geworden. Andererseits ist es auch ein hektischer Ferienort mit vielen Antiquitäten- und Buchläden, Restaurants und Spielhallen. Die Stadt wird manchmal auch London by the Sea genannt, wegen seiner Atmosphäre sowie wegen der großen Anzahl von Besuchern aus London, die vor allem an den Wochenenden und während der Sommerferien an die Küste strömen. Im Sommer beherbergt Brighton Tausende von jungen Menschen aus ganz Europa, die hier Sprachkurse belegen.

 

Im Kongresszentrum von Brighton findet fast alljährlich ein Parteitag einer der drei großen politischen Parteien statt. Am 12. Oktober 1984 explodierte im Grand Hotel eine Bombe der IRA; fünf Menschen starben. Die damalige Premierministerin Margaret Thatcher, die dort abgestiegen war, entkam nur knapp dem Attentat. Einer der Minister, Norman Tebbit, wurde leicht verletzt.

 

Im Jahr 1997 schlossen sich Brighton und die benachbarten Orte Portslade, Rottingdean und die Hove zu einer Stadt zusammen.

 

(Wikipedia)

1,684 views
11 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on January 22, 2025
Taken on August 8, 2018