Back to photostream

Wynarka main street with a home and former store, the former institute hall on the left, and vacant block where the first Methodist Church and school once stood. Murray Mallee South Australia

Wynarka is a very small settlement in South Australia 75 miles southeast of Adelaide on the B55, and 16 miles from Karoonda: it lies within the District Council of Karoonda East Murray.

The government town was proclaimed 9 January 1913 in the Hundred of Hooper.

 

Not easily seen, the township emerges after a turn off the highway. Few homes remain, one is in the former institute built in 1923 opposite the railway station (on the Loxton line).

School was held in the first Methodist Church from 1913 until the institute opened where it was held until 1940.

There is a disused Methodist Church c1971.

On the opposite side of the highway is a memorial celebrating the first Methodist service held in the Hundred of Hooper.

 

The first Methodist Church at Wynarka was dismantled in 1989 and removed to Karoonda. It was restored and placed in the Karoonda Pioneer Park. As an historical building there it was opened by Mrs Dorothy Blacket on Federation Sunday 21 October 2001.

 

OPENING OF NEW CHURCH AT WYNARKA

About twenty miles from Tailem Bend, on the newly-constructed Brown's Well line, one comes to the little siding at Wynarka. A passer-by looking at the surrounding country would be impressed with its seeming loneliness and its vast stretches of uncultivated land. When we remember that two years ago it was a weary sea of green mallee one cannot but realize that the settlers have not been idle. Neither has the Methodist Church.

 

About two years ago the first service was conducted near the "bore" in the open air by the Rev John Blacket. From that time on services were held once a month by the minister from Tailem Bend, until in July, 1912, a home missionary was appointed and five additional preaching-places have been taken up.

 

On October 6, 1912, the first anniversary services were held in a shed kindly lent by Mr Chenoweth, conducted by the Home Missionary Secretary, and at the close steps were taken to provide for the collecting of subscriptions and the erection of a Methodist hall. Two choice blocks of land were given by the Rev John Blacket and Mr E B Colton.

 

On Sunday, October 12, the second anniversary was held in the newly erected building. This is of iron and wood, and was erected by the people themselves under the supervision of Mr J J Chenoweth. The preacher for the day was the Rev John Blacket. The services were well attended. Musical selections were rendered by the choir, under the leadership of Mr W J Murphy, with Miss R Laurie as organist. The organ was kindly lent by Mr Chenoweth.

 

On Tuesday afternoon, in spite of the rain which fell heavily for some hours, a tea meeting was held—the first in the district. A public meeting followed, at which about one hundred people attended. The chair was taken by Mr E B Colton. Music was provided by the choir, and addresses delivered by the Revs J Blacket and C J Perry. Thanks were voiced by the home missionary, Mr V H Goldrey, and Mr S Lockier. Supper was handed round, and highly satisfactory and thoroughly enjoyable opening services came to an end.

 

The Wynarka Methodist Church is the first building erected on the township blocks along the Brown's Well line. [Ref: Australian Christian Commonwealth (SA) 24-10-1913]

 

Wynarka October 18

There was a large gathering of settlers at the opening of the local Methodist Hall on Sunday, October 12.

Mr J J Chenoweth was asked to superintend the work. A working bee was formed and deserve every credit for their enterprise in erecting such a fine building. The young ladies provided afternoon tea each day.

The lamps to light the building were presented by Mrs Pitt, of Payneham. [Ref: Chronicle (Adelaide) 1-11-1913]

 

Wynarka Harvest Thanksgiving Services were held on 11th inst, at 3pm and 7.30 pm. Our pastor, Rev Stan Forth, preached appropriate and inspiring sermons at both services. Special anthems were rendered by the choir.

 

At the conclusion of the afternoon service the congregation adjourned to the spot where the first service held in Wynarka was conducted by the late Rev John Blacket in 1911.

Three years, ago a gum tree was planted to commemorate the spot. The trustees of the Wynarka Methodist Church decided to hand over the piece of ground which has been railed around the tree, to the Karoonda District Council.

Rev Stan Forth conducted a short dedicatory ceremony, after which he officially handed over the sacred piece of ground to the Council, which was represented at the service by Councillors A Hood and Miell.

 

Councillor Hood, in replying on behalf of the Council, thanked the trustees and assured them that as long as he was resident here, the tree would be well tended and cared for, and he hoped that in years to come, when the tree spreads its welcome shade, that many weary teamsters would find rest for themselves and their horses as they journey to the bore, within a few yards of the tree, for water.

 

On Saturday, 3rd inst the Methodist Ladies' Guild held an anniversary social, a special feature of the occasion being a visit from Miss Kate Cocks, MBE.

 

Rev Stan Forth presided and introduced the visitor, whose name has become a household word throughout the State.

Miss Cocks' address was educational as well as spiritually uplifting. During the evening Mrs. J. Murphy, past secretary of the Guild for a number of years, made a presentation to our president, Mrs J Boyce, who has held that office for nine years.

 

On Sunday the services were continued, when in the afternoon Miss Cocks preached the sermon.

A donation was given Miss Cocks from the Church for her work at the Babies' Home in Brighton. [Ref: Australian Christian Commonwealth 8-3-1940]

 

 

 

895 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on October 11, 2021
Taken on September 2, 2021