Back to photostream

Quorn Institute Library Hours, Flinders Ranges, South Australia

Bad seasons and hard times were advanced as the major reasons for the delay in erecting a permanent Quorn Institute before 1885. But with the prospect of a good season in 1884, a design was prepared by Thomas Burgoyne, architect, first Dispatch editor and South Australian Member of Parliament, “for a handsome and commodious building” to be erected at a cost of £3,000.

 

Meanwhile, plans were thrown into disarray when the State Government of the day announced that it would no longer subsidise country institutes. As a consequence, a memorial was drawn up and presented to the government with the result that the threatened action was averted.

 

However, by this time circumstances in Quorn and its surrounding districts had changed. The season which began so promisingly had taken a turn for the worse with the result that the Institute Committee decided they could no longer justify the large expense in erecting the original design. Yet rather than defer the project altogether the decision was taken to modify the design and erect a building. Tenders were called and that of constructor D. Swan was accepted for £536.

 

The memorial stone for the Quorn Institute was laid by Mrs W.C. Barton, mayoress, on 14 October 1885.

 

The work of erecting part of the future Quorn Institute has been commenced … on the back part of the allotment in a straight line, to allow the large hall [Town Hall 1891] and offices to come in front. [South Australian Weekly Chronicle 3-10-1885]

 

HOLIDAY AT QUORN

Quorn, October 14

The foundation stone of the new Institute was laid by Mrs Barton, Mayoress, about 10 o'clock. The members of the Friendly Societies and a large number of townspeople witnessed the proceedings. Speeches were made by the Mayor (Mr W C Barton), Mr A B Moncrieff, and others. The day is being observed as a close holiday.

[Ref: Evening Journal 14-10-1885]

 

The Institute was built at the back of the block with a frontage to Seventh Street, the remaining Railway Terrace frontage being left for future building operations.

The Institute is of Quorn stone with cement facings and an iron roof.

The Port Augusta Dispatch noted – The frontage is 23 feet and the depth 60 feet: walls are to be 16 feet high and the distance from floor to ceiling in all rooms will be 15 ft.

 

The street entrance is through a little porch on the north side of the building with a door into the front room which is to serve as a library and reading room. Behind is the Secretary’s room, backed by a chess and draught room, with larger apartments, intended for “lodge” use, at the rear.

Lighting is provided by two large demilune headed windows in the front and three square topped ones in the northern walls.

 

However, by 1890 the community was beginning to feel prosperous enough to erect a town hall.

The Council, after a good deal of negotiation, was able to gain the consent of the Minister of Education and have the Institute property transferred to ratepayers so that the original design fronting on to Railway Terrace could be completed. The title was transferred to the Quorn Corporation on 19 November 1890 and tenders were called with the contract being awarded to Messrs Moran Bros of Port Augusta for approximately £900. The architect was F W Dancker of Adelaide.

 

This building houses Council Archives (formerly Institute Library Reading Room) and [Town Hall] Supper Room (formerly offices of the Corporation of Quorn.)

 

Ref: Flinders Ranges Heritage Survey

 

 

 

632 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on May 28, 2018
Taken on May 19, 2018