Back to photostream

Dillingen, Saarland, state of Germany, Evangelische Stadtkirche (Protestant city church, église Évangelique, iglesia Protestante, chiesa Protestante), Merziger Straße

Absolutism in 17-18. Century

Devastations in the Dutch War

A few years after the conclusion of the treaty of Vincennes in 1661, Dillingen became again area of operation of the Dutch War (1672-1678/79). In 1670 the French king Louis XIV the whole Lorraine had occupied. By doing so, a French army under the Maréchal de Créquy (1624-1687) the Duke of Lorraine Charles IV (1604-1675) drove out and captured within a short time his strongholds.

In consequence of the war, in which also the Electorate of Trier and the Holy Roman Empire were dragged in, it came in Dillingen to severe devastations of the village and the castle and brutal harassments of the residents by the soldiery.

As in mid-May 1677 Charles V of Lorraine, a nephew and official successor of Charles IV of Lorraine, who had died in 1675, as imperial army commander undertook a military offensive to Lorraine to regain the duchy from France, Dillingen together with its castle by the Austrians was captured under count Starhemberg, the previous French occupiers led into captivity and the commander of the castle of Dillingen hanged.

Feudal dominion Lenoncourt-Blainville

Dillinger chimney plate with the coat of arms of the Marquis de Lenoncourt, 1706, 106 cm x 93 cm, 92.8 kg

After the extinction of the reign of Dillingen in the male line by the death of Franz de Savigny and his wife Anna Magdalena (born of Braubach), who had only one daughter, Antoinette de Savigny, Dillingen came in 1657 to her husband Francois de Lenoncourt, Marquis de Blainville, who came from an influential family in Lorraine. As in Nalbacher valley the Palatine Law was applied, which excluded a female succession, this territory with the village Diefflen from the possession of the family dropped out. It was only in 1665 that Nalbacher valley could be recovered.

To the Lenoncourt family the foundation of the ironworks Dillingen goes back. Its family coat of arms is now the logo of Dillinger Hütte. However, Francois de Lenoncourt, who died already in 1664, most of the time resided at the court of Lorraine in Nancy, and he left his wife with the only son Charles Henri Gaspard alone in Dillingen. Charles Henri Gaspard de Lenoncourt immediately took up the rule, which lasted until his death in 1713. On the basis of a trusting relationship with the Lorraine dynasty, he became thus ambassador to the French court at Versailles and was in personal contact with King Louis XIV. After the peace of Ryswyk in 1697, ending the Palatinate War of Succession of Louis XIV, Lenoncourt became envoy of Lorraine at the papal court in Rome. Also under the regency of Duke Leopold of Lorraine (1690-1729) he was raised to the rank of a State Councillor and Senior Chamberlain.

Mercantilism and enlightened absolutism

Charles Henri Gaspard de Lenoncourt in the spirit of mercantilism and of enlightened absolutism the property boundaries newly had measured. To the 376 acres of farmland and 130 Fuder of meadows, which were in use of property of the farmers, he for improvement of the economic base of his subjects even from his own dominion added 260 acres. To alleviate the Futternot (shortage of fodder) in the period between the end of winter and the first mowing, the peasants were allowed to graze their horses and cattle in his forests.

(As to Fuder - derived is the Fuder "load" from cartload that could load a two-horse carriage. The fuder depending of the region had from about 800 to 1800 liters. Usually the Fuder consisted of 12 buckets, this measure absolutely nothing having do with the nowadays usual 5 or 10 liter plastic buckets.)

The most relevant decision of Charles Henri Gaspard de Lénoncourt, however, was to have founded the still existing Dillinger Hütte. Some of his ancestors had already operated as owners of iron hammers in Lorraine. In December 1685 King Louis XIV at Versailles Marquis de Blainville-Lenoncourt gave permission for the erection of ironworks and meltings in Dillingen

"Louis, by the grace of God King of France and Navarre, to all present and future greeting! Our Dear and very Beloved, the Sieur Marquis de Lenoncourt-Blainville, has us submitted that the area of Dillingen, located a half mile away from Saarlouis at the very small river prims which pours into the Saar, belongs to him and that he also is the Higher Court Lord over it. He now wishes to build in this area ironworks, steelworks, smeltings and blast furnaces, by which not only his income from the mentioned domain was increased - without that others suffer any damage or disadvantage - but also for the merchants and ironmonger as finally also for the population as a whole great facilities and many benefits would accrue. He therefore has asked us in the most subservient manner to give him the specific permission to do so. We put all of this into consideration and will be gracious to him in view of his devotion and his zeal he showed on all occasions for our service".

Moreover, Louis XIV determined that the forest of the Dillinger Ironworks should be preserved by Lenoncourt and its successors, the operation of the smelters should not harm others and to the end of the existence of the smelting works to the royal domain coffers for permission a ground rent of 1 Écu would be payable in gold. Finally, ordered the king that the councillors of the Metz Parliament court would have to register this Royal assent and would have to ensure that the iron and steel production without disorders and obstructions could run.

Due to the Reunionspolitik (Politics of Reunion) of Louis XIV, Lenoncourt had been forced to subordinate the dominion of Dillingen in 1681 in Metz at the Chamber of Reunion under the superior feudal rule of the French crown.

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschichte_der_Stadt_Dillingen/Saar

1,028 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on June 27, 2014
Taken on May 11, 2014