Back to photostream

Candle & Drapes

In the Queens Chambers

 

The original palace dates from 1514 onwards...in 1689 William III began a major building campaign with Sir Christopher Wren as architect. This consists chiefly of the Fountain Court, to the south-east corner of the old palace, on site of Tudor Cloister Green Court, and the Colonnade in Clock Court. A little work was done under George II, including the remodelling of the Tudor range, between Clock and Fountain Court by William Kent who also completed the decorations of Queen's Staircase. The Tudor ranges are generally 2-3 storeys with mullioned windows usually of 2-4-lights. Those by Wren have 4 storeys with arched windows or arcades to the ground floors, tall, square headed windows with moulded surrounds and sometimes pediments to the first floors, round windows to the second and almost square windows to top storey, treated as an attic above a stone cornice. Further cornice and balustraded parapet above. Many surviving interiors, Tudor and later.

[Historic England]

106 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on June 22, 2019
Taken on March 14, 2019