Back to photostream

Stone and Flint

Taken during The Mediaeval Ossuary: A Guided Tour of Spitalfields Charnel House (October 2018) as part of the Month of the Dead.

 

Spitalfields Charnel House, part of the Priory and Hospital of St Mary-without-Bishopsgate (established 1197).

 

The first Prior of St. Mary Without was Godfrey; the last was William Major; pensioned off in 1538 following the dissolution. An attempt was made in 1540 by the City authorities to continue the running of the hospital themselves but this request fell on deaf ears and by 1540 the main buildings had begun to be pulled down. Certainly, after 1540, the area formerly occupied by the hospital now consisted of two ex-parochial self-governing "liberties". The northern Inner Precinct would became an impoverished neighbourhood known as the Liberty of Norton Folgate while the southern Outer Precinct was transformed from a place of rest and healing to an artillery ground, later a 'rookery' known as the Liberty of the Old Artillery Ground.

[spitalfieldsforum.org.uk]

 

The medieval bone store was rediscovered in 1999 during excavations by the Museum of London archaeology service for the new development planned at the site.

Working on advice from English Heritage, the Spitalfields Development Group instructed the architects Foster and Partners to incorporate the structure into their scheme.

[telegraph.co.uk]

94 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on March 23, 2019
Taken on October 20, 2018