Back to photostream

In Memory of the 1st Baronet

Monument to Sir Henry (1555-1624) & Lady Ursula Bellasis (daughter of Sir Thomas Fairfax of Denton).

Sir Henry was made the 1st Baronet Belasyse of Newborough in 1611.

He was a Justice of the Peace for the North Riding of Yorkshire c.1586-7, c.1594-6 and from 1601-24 until his death; he was also member of the Council of the North from 1603 til death. Other positions were High Sheriff of Yorkshire (1603–04), and Member of Parliament for Thirsk in 1586, 1589, 1593 and 1601, as well as sitting for Aldborough between 1597-1601.

 

Lady Ursula was the daughter of Sir Thomas Fairfax, whose great-grandson (and namesake) was Thomas Fairfax, 3rd Lord Fairfax of Cameron, general and commander-in-chief of the Parliamentary forces in the English Civil War.

 

York Minster, also known as 'The Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York'.

There has been a church in York dedicated to St Peter since the 630s, with a stone church built by Oswald of Northumbria in 637. This church was developed in the 670s with the addition of a school and library (a Minster being an Anglo-Saxon missionary teaching church); in 741 the building burned down and was rebuilt, holding 30 altars. During the Anglo-Saxon period (when York was Eoforwic), and then Viking period (Jorvik) there were a series of Benedictine Archbishops including including Wulfstan (d. 956), Saint Oswald (d.992), and Ealdred (d. 1069).

The cathedral was damaged in 1069 and repaired in 1070 by its first Norman archbishop, Thomas of Bayeux (d. 1100); in 1075 the church was destroyed by the Danes, but rebuilt from 1080, the new building was in the Norman style, with white and red rendering.

Following being made Archbishop of York in 1215, Walter de Gray (d. 1255) ordered the construction of a gothic structure. Work began in 1220, with the North and South Transepts completed in the 1250s in the Early English Gothic Style. The Chapter House was began in the 1260s, completed 1296; the nave was began in 1280s, building on Norman foundations, the outer roof was built in the 1330s, with the vaulting completed in 1360s. The choir (the last Norman structure) was demolished in 1390s, and was replaced 1405. The Central (Lantern) Tower was built from 1420 (replacing a c.13th tower that collapsed in 1407); the towers on the West Front were built 1432-72, after which the Minster was consecrated.

Because of the length of time taken to build the Minster, the architecture shows the development of the Gothic style from Early English to Perpendicular.

829 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on April 29, 2014
Taken on January 7, 2014