Back to photostream

The hunted

The Minster was started in 1190. In 1308 the nave was rebuilt. The West end was built in the perpendicular style in 1420 which completed the building. The Minster was reduced to the status of parish church after 1548 when it ceased to be Roman Catholic. At this stage it was due to be pulled down, but a group of wealthy businessmen bought it for £100. The Chapter House was demolished, leaving only the access stairs.

 

By 1716 the minster was in a poor state of repair but its collapse was prevented by restorations begun in the C18th.

 

Whilst the instrument carvings are believed to be the largest collection in the world there are plenty of other carvings along the aisles of the nave. These include grotesques and mythical creatures. All are medieval, some with restoration.

166 views
3 faves
1 comment
Uploaded on May 3, 2023
Taken on November 19, 2022