Back to photostream

Historic York

Easily passed by without noticing it in Aldwark, this nondescript dental clinic was once the original Wesleyan Methodist chapel in York. Built in 1759, it was opened by John Wesley himself on Sunday 15 August that year when he conducted the service, the first of many such visits to the city.

 

It remained York's only Methodist chapel until 1805, when, with the increasing popularity of Methodism, other chapels were built culminating in 1840 with York's very grand Central Methodist Church in St Saviourgate.

1,633 views
7 faves
2 comments
Uploaded on July 8, 2021
Taken on July 8, 2021