Back to photostream

Yellow building

Construction of the cathedral, located on one side of the main town plaza, was begun in 1528. It has undergone many restorations over the years; the present façade itself, with tiles, columns and statuary, dates from the early 1700´s and many facets of the decor are in the Mudéjar and Arabesque styles.

 

Of note are the Chapel of the Virgin of Guadalupe, paintings of Saint Peter and Mary Magdalene and the Last Supper, and the main altarpiece with paintings of the Passion of Christ, dedications to the Three Kings, a Guatemalan crucifix and a number of fine statues and other elaborate works of art. Dominican father Bartolomé de las Casas, a great defender of the indians, served in this place of worship as its first bishop

303 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on January 14, 2006
Taken on April 29, 2004