Back to photostream

30013

The Church in the grounds of the Grade II Listed Chad Varah House which is currently undergoing conversion into private housing. On the corner of Steep Hill and Wordsworth Street, Lincoln, Lincolnshire.

 

It was formerly the home of the Lincoln School of Theology, the Lincoln Theological College and the University of Lincoln's Conservation & Restoration and History of Art and Design Departments and recently the University Technical College.

 

Built in 1776 by John Carr of York and William Lumby. As an infirmary/County Hospital. A new north-west wing was added in 1854-1855; 1860-1 the two south wings were extended; the chapel built 1906-7 and is by Temple; There is also a late 19th-century attached house and water tower. It continued as a hospital until the 1870s until the new County Hospital was opened in 1876. A burial ground lay at the south end of the site.

 

It was bought by Bishop Wordsworth in 1879 for £3800 to be used as the Schola Cancellarii Lincolniensis/Bishops Hostel. Between 1916-1919 it was used as a temporary hospital. The name Lincoln Theological College was introduced by Kenneth Sansbury the Warden between 1945-1962. The building was leased by De Montford University (Faculty of Art and Design) and named Chad Varah House. It was used as the School of Art and Design by the University of Lincoln between 2002-2009; and since then and to date as the Lincoln School of Theology.

 

Timbers from the floor of the former dining room in the west wing were dated by tree-ring analysis in 1997 and found to be from to c.1660, and are considered to come from Chirurgans Inn, (subsequently the Hare and Hounds and the Fighting Cocks) built on the site around that time and demolished for the construction of the hospital.

 

2,272 views
10 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on December 2, 2017
Taken on October 25, 2013