Back to photostream

Visiting:- Redbourn, Hertfordshire

No. 5 - 5:- Exploring Redbourn Common.

 

The Cricketers

THE CRICKETERS. One James Smith who died about 1864 had lived in a cottage on the corner of Redbourn Common near the cross roads and at the beginning of East Common. He was official rat catcher to the Gorhambury Estate. He brought beer and began to retail it but the police took action and brought him before the magistrates for opening an inn without a licence. However, the Earl intervened, told Smith how to apply for licence which was granted and 'The Three Horseshoes' sign went up. Later, as the inn catered for the needs of the cricketers on the common, the name was changed to 'The Cricketers'. Two adjoining cottages that at one time were occupied by William Robbins and Thomas Austin are now part of the inn.

Redbourn: May Walker 1960

 

The Cricketers is now run by Colin, Debbie & Andy and has undergone extensive refurbishment. On the inside there is a clever mix of old and new with the front bar having just been decorated with a traditional village pub feel and offers a great varied selection of tradtional ales, lagers and ciders. To the rear of the pub uncovers a newly developed 24 seat restaurant decorated in a contemporary style. The resident chef has created a diverse menu with something to suit everyone's taste and the food is complimented with an excellent extensive wine list all moderately priced.

Redbourn Web Board.

 

To look Large:-

farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3841421867_762eae7f3d_b.jpg

 

Taken on

August 18, 2007 at 15:37BST

354 views
0 faves
2 comments
Uploaded on August 21, 2009
Taken on August 18, 2007