Back to photostream

Pumping shaft adit

Messrs Clayton and Brooke, proprietors of Norbury Colliery, erected a large beam pumping engine in the 1840s to manage the water in the workings. The water raised was allowed to run into the nearby Norbury Brook but the construction of the railway line to Whaley Bridge crossed the outflow necessitating the construction of a long brick-lined culvert to carry the water through the railway embankment. Although the colliery closed in 1892, water continues to flow through the culvert from the shaft which is around 900ft deep.

1,068 views
0 faves
6 comments
Uploaded on January 31, 2009
Taken on January 31, 2009