Former Lawsons Hotel
The former Lawson's Hotel, located at the corner of Cambridge and East Street, Inverleigh dates from 1865 when the original hotel, established by William Lawson, was replaced by the present structure. William Lawson had been the blacksmith on the nearby Weatherboard Run. He set up a smithy under a mighty remnant gum tree, a Eucalyptus camaldulensis (River Red Gum) which survives, built a crude structure called the Horseshoe Inn in the 1840s and, by 1852, built the first bridge over the Leigh. He had moved on by 1853 and the business came to be known as Hewitt's Hotel. William Hewitt built the present structure. No architect has yet been associated with the handsome but conservative standard design. Hewitt sold to George Milward who was succeeded by his daughter, Miss Annie Milward, the role of licensee being one of the few respectable occupations for unmarried women. The hotel was de-licensed in 1927 and the building was purchased by Arthur Faulkner in 1929. The Faulkner family occupied the building as a residence until after the Second World War. The 14-roomed building is still occupied intermittently as a residence. The service wing at the rear was demolished in the late 1920s and the L-shaped front verandah is now gone. The most distinctive characteristics of the building are the combination of coursed random rubble construction with finely detailed cement render quoins and the unusual fenestration. Apart from the loss of the service wing and verandah, the main building retains an extremely high degree of integrity and is in fair condition. - See more at: vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/31709#sthash.SXIysF..
Former Lawsons Hotel
The former Lawson's Hotel, located at the corner of Cambridge and East Street, Inverleigh dates from 1865 when the original hotel, established by William Lawson, was replaced by the present structure. William Lawson had been the blacksmith on the nearby Weatherboard Run. He set up a smithy under a mighty remnant gum tree, a Eucalyptus camaldulensis (River Red Gum) which survives, built a crude structure called the Horseshoe Inn in the 1840s and, by 1852, built the first bridge over the Leigh. He had moved on by 1853 and the business came to be known as Hewitt's Hotel. William Hewitt built the present structure. No architect has yet been associated with the handsome but conservative standard design. Hewitt sold to George Milward who was succeeded by his daughter, Miss Annie Milward, the role of licensee being one of the few respectable occupations for unmarried women. The hotel was de-licensed in 1927 and the building was purchased by Arthur Faulkner in 1929. The Faulkner family occupied the building as a residence until after the Second World War. The 14-roomed building is still occupied intermittently as a residence. The service wing at the rear was demolished in the late 1920s and the L-shaped front verandah is now gone. The most distinctive characteristics of the building are the combination of coursed random rubble construction with finely detailed cement render quoins and the unusual fenestration. Apart from the loss of the service wing and verandah, the main building retains an extremely high degree of integrity and is in fair condition. - See more at: vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/31709#sthash.SXIysF..