Castle Maol
Caisteal Maol, also known as Castle Moil or Castle Dunakin, is a ruined castle located near the harbor of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. This ancient fortress served as the stronghold of the Mackinnon clan and was strategically positioned to command the strait of Kyle Akin, through which all ships had to pay a toll to navigate. Otherwise, they risked the treacherous waters of The Minch. The current structure dates back to the 15th century.
Built by the MacKinnon family in the 15th century, it was the location of a meeting of chiefs after James V's death, where it was decided to raise Sir Donald MacDonald to the dignity of Lord of the Isles. Tradition associated the site with King Haakon of Norway and it may be that the visible remains replaced an earlier structure.
According to tradition, Findanus, the fourth chief of the MacKinnon clan, incorporated Dunakin into the clan around the year 900 by marrying a Norse princess nicknamed "Saucy Mary." The castle remained the clan's seat until 1601.
DSC_0760
Castle Maol
Caisteal Maol, also known as Castle Moil or Castle Dunakin, is a ruined castle located near the harbor of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. This ancient fortress served as the stronghold of the Mackinnon clan and was strategically positioned to command the strait of Kyle Akin, through which all ships had to pay a toll to navigate. Otherwise, they risked the treacherous waters of The Minch. The current structure dates back to the 15th century.
Built by the MacKinnon family in the 15th century, it was the location of a meeting of chiefs after James V's death, where it was decided to raise Sir Donald MacDonald to the dignity of Lord of the Isles. Tradition associated the site with King Haakon of Norway and it may be that the visible remains replaced an earlier structure.
According to tradition, Findanus, the fourth chief of the MacKinnon clan, incorporated Dunakin into the clan around the year 900 by marrying a Norse princess nicknamed "Saucy Mary." The castle remained the clan's seat until 1601.
DSC_0760