Cootamundra. The 1870 built Catholic Church now part of the school. The red brick building behind it is the current 1916 built Catholic Church.
Cootamundra.
The Cootamundra run of around 50,000 acres was licensed in 1847. A few years later in 1860 a town was surveyed on the banks of Muttama Creek within the Cootamundra run. Town lots were sold in 1862 and were taken up quickly as gold mining had started on the Muttama Reef. But there was no rush to Muttama until a much bigger find of gold was made in 1882. By 1864 the town had the Albion Hotel, a Post Office, a general store and a few residents. The police station and a second hotel opened by 1866 and the first stone Catholic Church was built in 1870 followed by a slab hut Anglican Church in 1874 and the first government school in 1875. The current state school was built in 1877 which was also the year in which the first train reached the town. With access to markets in Sydney the town started to grow and many substantial buildings were erected in the next 20 years. Early in the 20th century two significant events occurred; firstly the birth of Donald Bradman, later Sir Donald, in a cottage hospital in Adams Street; secondly in 1911 the establishment of the Cootamundra Domestic Training Home for Aboriginal Girls. It operated until 1968. Girls removed from their families by the state government were sent here to be trained as domestic servants. Whilst there is some acknowledged abuse at the home there was certainly more abuse of the girls once they turned 14 years when they were sent to be servants. The home was run in the former hospital (1887) called Bimbadeen which was handed over to the Aboriginal Evangelical Fellowship in the 1970s. To promote the Bradman connection (his family moved to Bowral in 1911) there is a statue of all 42 of the Australian cricket team captains, including the Aboriginal captain who led the 1868 his team against England. The busts are in Jubilee Park.
Historic buildings in Cootamundra include: the Gothic style railway station built in 1884 to 1888 with a tower; the Catholic Church in Morris St.(1916) and the convent (about 1880) and behind it the first Catholic Church 1870; along Thompson St is the state school (1877); in Wallendoon St the old Council Chamber (1934); the NAB bank formerly CBC bank (1887)- exceptionally fine cast iron veranda columns; the Post Office and its four storey tower designed by architect Walter Vernon (1881); the Globe Hotel ( rebuilt after a fire in 1903); behind the Globe is the Courthouse(1901) with symmetry, side pavilions, Greek columns; old corner bank now Custom Accounting (about 1900); the Albion Hotel (rebuilt 1920);the Bank of NSW now Westpac (1895) with classical colonnade and Victoria gable; the ANZ Bank (about 1920); quaint building next to ANZ (about 1900) still with slate roof; turn right at end main street at Cootamundra Hotel (1875 but remodelled 1930s) and then right again – Presbyterian Church now Uniting(1936) – the first Presbyterian church built 1882. In the park west of the Main Street is the Captains’’ Walk a series of busts of all Australian cricket team captains.
Cootamundra. The 1870 built Catholic Church now part of the school. The red brick building behind it is the current 1916 built Catholic Church.
Cootamundra.
The Cootamundra run of around 50,000 acres was licensed in 1847. A few years later in 1860 a town was surveyed on the banks of Muttama Creek within the Cootamundra run. Town lots were sold in 1862 and were taken up quickly as gold mining had started on the Muttama Reef. But there was no rush to Muttama until a much bigger find of gold was made in 1882. By 1864 the town had the Albion Hotel, a Post Office, a general store and a few residents. The police station and a second hotel opened by 1866 and the first stone Catholic Church was built in 1870 followed by a slab hut Anglican Church in 1874 and the first government school in 1875. The current state school was built in 1877 which was also the year in which the first train reached the town. With access to markets in Sydney the town started to grow and many substantial buildings were erected in the next 20 years. Early in the 20th century two significant events occurred; firstly the birth of Donald Bradman, later Sir Donald, in a cottage hospital in Adams Street; secondly in 1911 the establishment of the Cootamundra Domestic Training Home for Aboriginal Girls. It operated until 1968. Girls removed from their families by the state government were sent here to be trained as domestic servants. Whilst there is some acknowledged abuse at the home there was certainly more abuse of the girls once they turned 14 years when they were sent to be servants. The home was run in the former hospital (1887) called Bimbadeen which was handed over to the Aboriginal Evangelical Fellowship in the 1970s. To promote the Bradman connection (his family moved to Bowral in 1911) there is a statue of all 42 of the Australian cricket team captains, including the Aboriginal captain who led the 1868 his team against England. The busts are in Jubilee Park.
Historic buildings in Cootamundra include: the Gothic style railway station built in 1884 to 1888 with a tower; the Catholic Church in Morris St.(1916) and the convent (about 1880) and behind it the first Catholic Church 1870; along Thompson St is the state school (1877); in Wallendoon St the old Council Chamber (1934); the NAB bank formerly CBC bank (1887)- exceptionally fine cast iron veranda columns; the Post Office and its four storey tower designed by architect Walter Vernon (1881); the Globe Hotel ( rebuilt after a fire in 1903); behind the Globe is the Courthouse(1901) with symmetry, side pavilions, Greek columns; old corner bank now Custom Accounting (about 1900); the Albion Hotel (rebuilt 1920);the Bank of NSW now Westpac (1895) with classical colonnade and Victoria gable; the ANZ Bank (about 1920); quaint building next to ANZ (about 1900) still with slate roof; turn right at end main street at Cootamundra Hotel (1875 but remodelled 1930s) and then right again – Presbyterian Church now Uniting(1936) – the first Presbyterian church built 1882. In the park west of the Main Street is the Captains’’ Walk a series of busts of all Australian cricket team captains.