Back to photostream

Laura. The Wesleyan Methodist Church built in 1888. Since 2000 it has become the Redeemer Lutheran Church.

After erecting the first hotels and churches country towns looked to education facilities. In Laura a school opened in 1874 in a small church before the first state school was built in 1877. Additional classrooms were added to the 1877 building in 1883. More buildings have opened since the 1950s. In the 1870s churches were often built of pine and pug with thatched rooves and they were demolished within a couple of decades. The Wesleyan Methodists built the first church in Laura in 1873 opposite the location of the current school. They replaced this structure with their grand stone church in the Main Street in 1888. It is still in use in the Main Street but it is now Redeemer Lutheran Church. The Lutherans purchased this building in the year 2000. The Lutherans also purchased the Primitive Methodist Church in Samuel Street in Laura which was built in 1876. They bought it in 1904, demolished it in 1908 and opened their Easter Lutheran Church on the site in 1909. The Baptist congregation in Laura was strong and they built their church in 1875 and it is still in use by the Baptists. The Catholics built an early church in 1877 with a nearby convent at the same time on land on the outskirts of Laura which was donated by a local farmer Mr Rollison. Both were demolished in 1929 to make way for the current fine Catholic Church. The Anglicans built a church in Laura in 1875 and because Herbert Bristow Hughes of Booyoolee and his family worshiped there he donated funds for the addition of the chancel. The chancel was added in 1883 to the design of Port Pirie architect William Mallyon.

959 views
3 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on September 28, 2016
Taken on September 20, 2016