Victor Harbor. The Town hall completed in 1905 with classical architectural features
Early Victor Harbor.
Despite the early settlement at Yilki and the favourable agricultural reports and flow of two rivers into the sea at Victor no town emerged quickly. Two early selectors Blundell and Lindsay subdivided some of their land to create a private town in 1839 but no sales were recorded. By the early 1850s there were more farmers in the district. Grain was carted in from outlying farms to the new wharf at The Bluff from 1854. A licensed inn, the Fountain Inn had opened in 1850 and a small flourmill was operating. When the District Council was formed in 1853 it was centred at Yilki. The town of Victor emerged around 1863 with the first school opening in 1861 and the first Victor Harbor jetty in 1863. It was this government jetty which led to the creation of the private town of Victor harbor. The government also built a road and rail bridge across the Hindmarsh River in 1864 making easy access to the new port and to the emerging town. The town was not officially surveyed and gazetted until 1863 when L Hyndman did a new survey. The first hotel, the Hotel Victor opened in 1863 and a horse tramway to Port Elliot opened in 1864. The first bank opened in 1865 and the first general store and Post Office and Telegraph Station in 1866. Next came the churches with the Congregational Church and the Anglican Churches being erected in 1869. By 1870 the town was well established with the commercial centre near where the railway station was started in 1867. The causeway and horse drawn tram to Granite Island opened for tourists and summer holidaymakers in 1895. The steam trains and railway line reached Victor from Adelaide in 1883.
Victor Harbor. The Town hall completed in 1905 with classical architectural features
Early Victor Harbor.
Despite the early settlement at Yilki and the favourable agricultural reports and flow of two rivers into the sea at Victor no town emerged quickly. Two early selectors Blundell and Lindsay subdivided some of their land to create a private town in 1839 but no sales were recorded. By the early 1850s there were more farmers in the district. Grain was carted in from outlying farms to the new wharf at The Bluff from 1854. A licensed inn, the Fountain Inn had opened in 1850 and a small flourmill was operating. When the District Council was formed in 1853 it was centred at Yilki. The town of Victor emerged around 1863 with the first school opening in 1861 and the first Victor Harbor jetty in 1863. It was this government jetty which led to the creation of the private town of Victor harbor. The government also built a road and rail bridge across the Hindmarsh River in 1864 making easy access to the new port and to the emerging town. The town was not officially surveyed and gazetted until 1863 when L Hyndman did a new survey. The first hotel, the Hotel Victor opened in 1863 and a horse tramway to Port Elliot opened in 1864. The first bank opened in 1865 and the first general store and Post Office and Telegraph Station in 1866. Next came the churches with the Congregational Church and the Anglican Churches being erected in 1869. By 1870 the town was well established with the commercial centre near where the railway station was started in 1867. The causeway and horse drawn tram to Granite Island opened for tourists and summer holidaymakers in 1895. The steam trains and railway line reached Victor from Adelaide in 1883.