Dibbin's hut, Alpine Huts 1994 sheet 06 15
Victorian Alpine Huts survey, for Parks Victoria April, May 1994.
Aged 14, Arthur William Dibbin first went to the High Plains in 1884, helping others take stock there for grazing{ Stephenson: 250}. He took his own cattle there in the 1890s, doing so until 1938{ ibid.}. Replacing an earlier log hut (burnt 1920), the new building was erected by Dibbins in 1917 and named by those who used it as the `Creep Inn' because of its low doorway{ ibid.; van der Knijff: 47}. The naturalist, RH Croll, wrote glowingly of his stay there{ ibid.}. By the 1920s, block 44A thrown open to tender but was regained by Dibbin, the tenure changing to AW Dibbin & William Howard in 1936{ DCNR 630/121 transfer 16.11.36}. By 1939 Dibbin had transferred his interest in the block to Neil Gow of Wandiligong, only to be challenged successfully by Arthur Dibbin & N Caloutas (both of Freeburgh) in 1941 who sought tendering of the block{ ibid.13.5.39 letter} A photograph of 1933 shows sapling log walls and purlins, a bark-clad gabled roof held down by saplings suspended on either side, and an internal (and hence unusual) chimney which was haphazardly clad externally on the upper section with corrugated iron{ ibid.}. At the other end was a sapling frame, consisting of an L-frame extended from the top plate on both wall lines and a sapling ridge extension, once held up by a forked sapling. Presumably this section could be clad with canvas as needed{ ibid.: 251 -ridge in place c1928}. Dibbin successfully sought permission in 1943 to renovate a hut on the block (inspector thought `erected by a former licensee') and enclose 80 acres as a mustering paddock{ DCNR 630/121}. Dibbin also took on the Norton (or Naughton) brothers of Cobungra Station as coholders of the block{ ibid.}. Lawler was also a partner by the mid 1940s. More restrictions (stock numbers, use times) were placed on the use of the block in the late 1940s, as was the case for all of the alpine blocks in the area. However by 1957 the block was described as becoming severely eroded and further stock reductions were sought by the Bogong High Plains Advisory Committee; the stock number was less than half within two years{ ibid.SCA 12.8.57 500 stock}. By 1960 the SCA had decided to withdraw the greater part of block 44A from grazing (now 700 acres but some 230 cattle from the three remaining lessees). The Mt Hotham Alpine Reserve Committee discussed the hut's state in 1967, noting that it was in bad repair and was only used for refuge in bad weather{ ibid. 3.8.67}. They wanted cancellation of any existing rights on the hut and to negotiate with Dibbin towards a new permissive occupancy arrangement as long as the hut was improved to a `reasonable standard'. In 1983 the hut was noted as in poor condition with old stockyards in ruins nearby{ Boadle (1983): 20}. It had an earth/stone floor, no windows, bunk accommodation for 6 and a galvanised iron clad chimney. After slow decay over the following years, restoration of the hut was attempted with the aid of Venturer scouts in c1987-8 (Operation Raleigh Project) under DCF&L supervision. However, the condition of the original material meant that it was almost totally replaced except for the roofing iron and a pot-bellied stove substituted for the open fireplace{ NTA -Swanton (DCF&L) letter to RA Benton, 24.1.90}. Ian King was in charge of constructing the new hut{ DCNR ranger, Bright, pers. comm.}. This project was the subject of an article in the `Australian' newspaper where the demolition of the original hut was ascribed to the `bungling' of the Department{ NTA -`The Australian' 8.1.90}. The National Trust also expressed its indignation at the `demolition'{ ibid.}.
Dibbin's hut, Alpine Huts 1994 sheet 06 15
Victorian Alpine Huts survey, for Parks Victoria April, May 1994.
Aged 14, Arthur William Dibbin first went to the High Plains in 1884, helping others take stock there for grazing{ Stephenson: 250}. He took his own cattle there in the 1890s, doing so until 1938{ ibid.}. Replacing an earlier log hut (burnt 1920), the new building was erected by Dibbins in 1917 and named by those who used it as the `Creep Inn' because of its low doorway{ ibid.; van der Knijff: 47}. The naturalist, RH Croll, wrote glowingly of his stay there{ ibid.}. By the 1920s, block 44A thrown open to tender but was regained by Dibbin, the tenure changing to AW Dibbin & William Howard in 1936{ DCNR 630/121 transfer 16.11.36}. By 1939 Dibbin had transferred his interest in the block to Neil Gow of Wandiligong, only to be challenged successfully by Arthur Dibbin & N Caloutas (both of Freeburgh) in 1941 who sought tendering of the block{ ibid.13.5.39 letter} A photograph of 1933 shows sapling log walls and purlins, a bark-clad gabled roof held down by saplings suspended on either side, and an internal (and hence unusual) chimney which was haphazardly clad externally on the upper section with corrugated iron{ ibid.}. At the other end was a sapling frame, consisting of an L-frame extended from the top plate on both wall lines and a sapling ridge extension, once held up by a forked sapling. Presumably this section could be clad with canvas as needed{ ibid.: 251 -ridge in place c1928}. Dibbin successfully sought permission in 1943 to renovate a hut on the block (inspector thought `erected by a former licensee') and enclose 80 acres as a mustering paddock{ DCNR 630/121}. Dibbin also took on the Norton (or Naughton) brothers of Cobungra Station as coholders of the block{ ibid.}. Lawler was also a partner by the mid 1940s. More restrictions (stock numbers, use times) were placed on the use of the block in the late 1940s, as was the case for all of the alpine blocks in the area. However by 1957 the block was described as becoming severely eroded and further stock reductions were sought by the Bogong High Plains Advisory Committee; the stock number was less than half within two years{ ibid.SCA 12.8.57 500 stock}. By 1960 the SCA had decided to withdraw the greater part of block 44A from grazing (now 700 acres but some 230 cattle from the three remaining lessees). The Mt Hotham Alpine Reserve Committee discussed the hut's state in 1967, noting that it was in bad repair and was only used for refuge in bad weather{ ibid. 3.8.67}. They wanted cancellation of any existing rights on the hut and to negotiate with Dibbin towards a new permissive occupancy arrangement as long as the hut was improved to a `reasonable standard'. In 1983 the hut was noted as in poor condition with old stockyards in ruins nearby{ Boadle (1983): 20}. It had an earth/stone floor, no windows, bunk accommodation for 6 and a galvanised iron clad chimney. After slow decay over the following years, restoration of the hut was attempted with the aid of Venturer scouts in c1987-8 (Operation Raleigh Project) under DCF&L supervision. However, the condition of the original material meant that it was almost totally replaced except for the roofing iron and a pot-bellied stove substituted for the open fireplace{ NTA -Swanton (DCF&L) letter to RA Benton, 24.1.90}. Ian King was in charge of constructing the new hut{ DCNR ranger, Bright, pers. comm.}. This project was the subject of an article in the `Australian' newspaper where the demolition of the original hut was ascribed to the `bungling' of the Department{ NTA -`The Australian' 8.1.90}. The National Trust also expressed its indignation at the `demolition'{ ibid.}.