Back to photostream

Alphington Como St 17 1982 folder 01, p 15 1397

Northcote Conservation study 1982 survey images: colour slide, black & white:.

`Thomas Wills' original Lucerne Farm, of tha 1840's, became the Lucerne Eacata of 1885. Renowned Heidelberg developer, A D Hodgson, had subdivided the western boundary of Lucarne Farm: creating, in the first plan, Constance, Chenouni and St Bernard Streets and. in the second. St Gothards and Geneva Streets. These startad from the eastern boundary of Manning's 1850s subdivision; feeding into Como Street. At the bottom of tha first subdivision, at St Bernard Road, a former Heidelberg farmer, ona Peter B. Fanning, purchased two lots in the name of his wife, Mary Alicia Panning..

Petar Fanning reputedly came from a farm at Moonee Ponds to tha Banyule Estate, at Heidelberg, where he leased a farm from James Graham. During the period from tha 1850s to 1878, Fanning became, initially prosperous; being elected to the Heidelberg Road Board in 1868, the Shire Council in 1871 and to the Shire Presidency, in 1877. He took an interest in municipal matters: designing and supervising the establishment of Heidelberg Park which also served his private interest in botony and floriculture. Fanning left Heidelberg in 1878; purchasing part of .

the Berlin Estate, north of Bell Street, in the following year. Ha became a hotelkaeper for a time but, at the age of 62, he retired to Alphington where he had built Balclutha possibly to the design of the architects, Twentyman and Askew, in 1889..

He lived there until his death, in 1905; the property being then leased out for a period of fifteen years.'

2,367 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on June 7, 2016
Taken on July 5, 2014