Back to photostream

Bus House Cemetery Ypres

In the summer of 2018 severe stability problems occurred on Bus House Cemetery, cracks appearing in the boundary wall and the building next to the cemetery. The cross of sacrifice has been removed and the boundary wall supported until the cause has been established and repairs are carried out.

 

This cemetery stands behind a farm-house that was called "Bus House" by the troops during the First World War. It was made in June-November 1917, but one grave of January 1915 was brought in during the war, and four more were added in April 1918. The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. A number were killed during the battle on the Ypres-Comines canal and were originally buried where they died, but in 1941 their graves were brought in from sites scattered throughout the commune for reburial in this cemetery. Bus House Cemetery contains 206 First World War burials,12 of them unidentified, and 79 from the Second World War, nine of them unidentified.

112 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on August 4, 2019
Taken on July 26, 2019