Back to photostream

18th Century Office

This is the Assistant Queen's Harbourmaster's Office, overlooking the River Medway. It sits adjacent to the Queen's Stairs (the main entry point to the Chatham Dockyard from the river during the age of sail).

 

This rather quaint structure was built in c.1770 as an office for the dockyard's two Master Attendants. Generally ex-naval Captains or Masters, they were the Principal Officers of the dockyard and were responsible for the ships moored in the river, either in Ordinary (or reserve), or awaiting repair.

 

In the 19th century, some of their duties were taken over by the King or Queen's Harbourmaster. This post was normally held by a senior officer of the yard, with the duties performed by an assistant who worked from this building.

 

In 1865 the whole of the tidal part of the River Medway (from Allington Lock near Maidstone to the sea at Sheerness) was designated as a Dockyard Port and the Assistant Queen's Harbourmaster became responsible for all moorings and ship movements that affected the Navy's use of the river.

3,325 views
11 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on October 17, 2019
Taken on June 6, 2013