Back to photostream

Bow Locks with Canary Wharf behind

The locks link the tidal Bow Creek to the River Lee Navigation which is a canalised river. These locks were first built in 1850 and then rebuilt in 1930. At high tide, the tide from Bow Creek used to flow through Bow Locks to raise the level of the canals, such as the Limehouse Cut. But in 2000 these locks were modified to keep the tide out; to reduce silting in the canal system.

 

75 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on April 10, 2009
Taken on April 10, 2009