Pipe Creek Mill
20 Pipe Creek Mill / Weist Grist & Saw Mill / Marker's Mill
Carroll Co. | Maryland | USA | Dam & mill built 1805, rebuilt 1901 after fire.
Christopher Erb deeded land to George Mouse (Maus) in 1805 for the building of a mill dam on the Great Pipe Creek.
Jacob Maus (he reverted to the German spelling)inherited the mill from his father and in the 1820 Cenus of Manufactures, it was stated that Maus' Mill consisted of three run of stones, one hopper boy, three bolters, and one rolling screen (sifter). In one year, the mill utilized 7500 bushels of wheat, buckwheat, Indian corn, and rye to produce $6,187 of bread flour, chop for animal feed, and ingredients for distilling purposes.
The saw mill portion of the mill came about as early as 1825. In 1830, the mill was described as a 40'X 45', 3.5 story brick mill, with saw and clover mill on 244 acres of land. Jacob died in the fall of 1860; whereupon, the mill was advertised as having 2 run of burrs for producing flour, two run of chopping stones for animal feed, plus all the necessary equipment neededfor milling of either new or substancial quality powered by two overshot wheels, side by side, which made a combined measurement of 8 feet wide.
The saw mill portion of the mill came about as early as 1825. In 1830, the mill was described as a 40'X 45', 3.5 story brick mill, with saw and clover mill on 244 acres of land. Jacob died in the fall of 1860; whereupon, the mill was advertised as having 2 run of burrs for producing flour, two run of chopping stones for animal feed, plus all the necessary equipment neededfor milling of either new or substancial quality powered by two overshot wheels, side by side, which made a combined measurement of 8 feet wide.
The mill was sold to John H. Marker in 1900. The mill burned the next year on November 24th, a Sunday afternoon. Damage was estimated at $20,000 but only insured for a little over $6,000. Damage could have been worse, but rain slowed the fires progress somewhat, although a frame elevator with 7,000 bushel of wheat, corn, buck wheat, and rye fell victims as did a rail carload of flour waiting to be shipped. The mill was rebuilt within the year by Marker, this time 2.5 stories of frame material on the old one story, stone foundation.
The mill sold to Henry Pietrich in 1919 of Reading, Pa. Next, it sold to William Jesse & Annie S. Halter in 1931. The Halters kept it in the family by selling the mill to Paul M. & Ruth E. Halter in 1938. In 1944, the mill sold to Jesse G. & Guida M. Imgram. The next sale has the mill being sold by the Imgrams to William C. & Emma G. Nevins Jr. in 1953; then, Joseph T. & Lillian A. Hardy purchasing the mill property from the Nevins in 1947, the year the mill quit operating. Widow Nevins sold to John C. & Patricia R. Kirby in 1970. The Kirbys sold to Richard J. & Linda M. Robbins Jr. in 1973. Ribbins sell to Joseph G. & Janis Lee Bahner in 1975. The Bahners conveyed the mill to Robert S. & Mary Ann Galandak, who owned the mill up into 1994, when the survey was done to enter the mill into the Maryland Historic Trust. Survey CARR-102. Perhaps they are still the owners.
Pipe Creek Mill
20 Pipe Creek Mill / Weist Grist & Saw Mill / Marker's Mill
Carroll Co. | Maryland | USA | Dam & mill built 1805, rebuilt 1901 after fire.
Christopher Erb deeded land to George Mouse (Maus) in 1805 for the building of a mill dam on the Great Pipe Creek.
Jacob Maus (he reverted to the German spelling)inherited the mill from his father and in the 1820 Cenus of Manufactures, it was stated that Maus' Mill consisted of three run of stones, one hopper boy, three bolters, and one rolling screen (sifter). In one year, the mill utilized 7500 bushels of wheat, buckwheat, Indian corn, and rye to produce $6,187 of bread flour, chop for animal feed, and ingredients for distilling purposes.
The saw mill portion of the mill came about as early as 1825. In 1830, the mill was described as a 40'X 45', 3.5 story brick mill, with saw and clover mill on 244 acres of land. Jacob died in the fall of 1860; whereupon, the mill was advertised as having 2 run of burrs for producing flour, two run of chopping stones for animal feed, plus all the necessary equipment neededfor milling of either new or substancial quality powered by two overshot wheels, side by side, which made a combined measurement of 8 feet wide.
The saw mill portion of the mill came about as early as 1825. In 1830, the mill was described as a 40'X 45', 3.5 story brick mill, with saw and clover mill on 244 acres of land. Jacob died in the fall of 1860; whereupon, the mill was advertised as having 2 run of burrs for producing flour, two run of chopping stones for animal feed, plus all the necessary equipment neededfor milling of either new or substancial quality powered by two overshot wheels, side by side, which made a combined measurement of 8 feet wide.
The mill was sold to John H. Marker in 1900. The mill burned the next year on November 24th, a Sunday afternoon. Damage was estimated at $20,000 but only insured for a little over $6,000. Damage could have been worse, but rain slowed the fires progress somewhat, although a frame elevator with 7,000 bushel of wheat, corn, buck wheat, and rye fell victims as did a rail carload of flour waiting to be shipped. The mill was rebuilt within the year by Marker, this time 2.5 stories of frame material on the old one story, stone foundation.
The mill sold to Henry Pietrich in 1919 of Reading, Pa. Next, it sold to William Jesse & Annie S. Halter in 1931. The Halters kept it in the family by selling the mill to Paul M. & Ruth E. Halter in 1938. In 1944, the mill sold to Jesse G. & Guida M. Imgram. The next sale has the mill being sold by the Imgrams to William C. & Emma G. Nevins Jr. in 1953; then, Joseph T. & Lillian A. Hardy purchasing the mill property from the Nevins in 1947, the year the mill quit operating. Widow Nevins sold to John C. & Patricia R. Kirby in 1970. The Kirbys sold to Richard J. & Linda M. Robbins Jr. in 1973. Ribbins sell to Joseph G. & Janis Lee Bahner in 1975. The Bahners conveyed the mill to Robert S. & Mary Ann Galandak, who owned the mill up into 1994, when the survey was done to enter the mill into the Maryland Historic Trust. Survey CARR-102. Perhaps they are still the owners.