Back to photostream

Yorkshire, Aldborough

Church of St Andrew Aldborough Yorkshire The first saxon church here believed to have stood on the site of a roman temple of Mercury was replaced by a Norman one c1100. This was destroyed by the scots in 1318 and the present church was built by the Dean and Chapter of York Minster c1330.

In 1332 Richard de Aldburgh, a judge, founded a chantry chapel at the east end of the north aisle dedicated to the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Another dedicated to St John the Baptist followed and in 1335 Philip de Aylesbury founded another at the east end of the south aisle dedicated to St Mary assigning lands to support a chaplain to pray for his soul. He was supported by several local property owners as the whole parish benefited from the work of these extra priests.. The St Mary chantry priest being also a school master who "doth teache gramer scole to the children of the sayed paroche" The school continued to flourish after the chantries' 1547 dissolution.

The church was extended and heightened in 15c with an added chancel and tower built with stones from the Roman walls.

The first organ was installed in a gallery at the west end of the church in front of the tower. this organ is noted in the parish records as breaking down in 1616 and in 1617 "it was agreade betweene the church wardens and inhabitants of the parish that George Brownlowe of the city of York would mend and repayre the organe from time to time when and as often as need shall require and shall have for his paynes 6 shillings yerely upon Maye daye and also be provided of a horse from York and home againe. And alsoe be furnished at the chardge of the parish with all things needful for the mending and repayre of this, as alsoe with meate drinke and lodgeing during the worke"

In 1783 Mr Smithson "gave a handsome new minute clock made by Messrs Clemetshaw" For 220 years someone has climbed the ladder of the clock tower every third day and turned a handle to raise the weights which work it.

 

866 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on January 24, 2013
Taken on February 26, 2006