Back to photostream

Old Matlock Derbyshire

Church of St Giles, Old Matlock, Derbyshire built at the heart of the medieval village - although there is no mention of a church in the 1086 Domesday Survey there was probably one not many years later, possibly being erected in the second quarter of the 12c.

The present church which consists of an aisled nave, tower, south porch, lower chancel with south chapel and north vestry' was substantially rebuilt in Victorian times, although parts of the former buildings remain, including the 12c font www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/0n51gJ and 15c three stage tower which still has a bell of c 1500 by the Chesterfield foundry.

An incised gravestone slab by the Royleys of Burton-upon-Trent. now stands by the south entrance. It was originally a floor ledger in the north aisle, but was raised on to a chest in 1907, It is in memory of Anthony Woolley 1587 of Allen Hill & Riber , his wife Ann 1578 & their 4 sons & 2 daughters www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/p135qA (The last of his male line was Adam Wolley who died in 1827)

In 1636 the church underwent considerable alterations and a new south porch was built against the south wall of the tower it's now blocked round-headed doorway still surviving. www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/k5KGMA

In 1724 a gallery was erected inside. A faculty was obtained in 1760 to rebuild the wall of the south aisle and to rebuild a loft over the same aisle. It was probably during this rebuilding that the old clerestory windows were removed and cast-iron pillars substituted for the stone piers of the arcades between the nave and aisles. In 1783 the north aisle was taken down and rebuilt, with a gallery over it.

Early 19c engravings show that the south side of the church had square-paned square-headed windows, that a flight of steps led up to the gallery on the right hand side of the tower porch and another flight at the west end of the south aisle, that the north aisle was lit with a double row of square windows, 'giving it the appearance of a barrack or factory', whilst the tower and the three-light east window of the chancel were the only remnants of the original church. There were frescoes on the ceiling and at least one wall of the nave had what was described as 'rude but interesting specimens of what we may be allowed to call Village painting'.

The chancel was rebuilt in 1859 by London architect G.H. Stokes followed by the nave in 1871 by Derby architect Benjamin Wilson, its clerestory is not visible from the outside but has pairs of 2-light plate-tracery windows.. When the old floor was taken up several graves 'barely the size of a coffin' with bone fragments were found cut into the solid limestone and covered by limestone slabs.

In 1897 architect P H Currey following is old foundations, rebuilt and lengthened the south aisle with a Lady chapel, and added a new south porch. The north aisle was rebuilt double the width of its predecessor.

A north vestry was added in 1907

 

In 1969 Ken Russell made the film "Women in Love", based on the D H Lawrence novel. A marriage scene filmed outside the church featured the paths on either side of the gate, as well as the churchyard.

2,275 views
9 faves
3 comments
Uploaded on December 7, 2021
Taken on April 19, 2021