Back to photostream

Manchester Cathedral

Manchester Cathedral

 

Lady Chapel Screen

 

The Lady Chapel screen narrowly avoided complete destruction during the War when bomb damage demolished the chapel immediately behind it. The screen was damaged and had to be pieced back together with some new structural elements but the most important carved elements escaped mostly unharmed.

 

The Lady Chapel

 

The hanging light signifies that the reserved sacrament of bread and wine is kept in this Chapel for distribution to the sick and dying. Besides being used regularly for services of Holy Communion, the Chapel is set aside during the day as a place for meditative prayer.

 

It is thought to have been originally built about 1299 by Rector Walter de Langton. Treasurer of England and also Bishop of Lichfield. The piers flanking the archway date from that of the original chapel.

 

Above them, on each side, is a rebus, an interpretation in stone of the name of the first Warden of the Collegiate Church, from 1421 - 1458, John Huntington (symbolised by a hunter with his dogs, and two ‘tuns’ or barrels of beer).

 

The upper masonry over the piers, including the east window stonework, dates from Warden Stanley’s time (1485 - 1509). Note the mediaeval screen and the damage to the carved figures probably inflicted at the time of the Civil War.

 

The Chapel was destroyed in 1940 by a German bomb and subsequently rebuilt in its present form, with Austion Wright’s wall hanging, woven by Theo Moorman, and altar furniture by Leslie Durbin.

 

The modern icon over the altar is by a Bulgarian monk. Note the etching in the windows, which refers to aspects of the Christmas and Easter stories.

187 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on March 27, 2020
Taken on August 29, 2019