Back to photostream

Monk Bretton Priory, Barnsley

Monk Bretton Priory Remains, Abbey Lane, Barnsley

 

Grade I Listed

 

List Entry Number: 1151178

 

SOUTH YORKSHIRE BARNSLEY 5095 SE30NE BARNSLEY ABBEY LANE (east side), 4/1 Cundy Cross 6.2.52 Monk Bretton Priory Remains GV I Monk Bretton Priory remains. C12- late C15. Coursed, squared rubble and ashlar. The complex consists of the church to the north with cloister to the south side of the nave. To the west of the cloister is a north-south range with a gatehouse to west of this. A north-south range to the east of the cloister and the refectory to the south with kitchens further south. To the south-east is the reredorter and guest house and to the east the separate infirmary. Most of the remains are only a few feet high and show the plan only, but the west range and gatehouse survive, in part, to two storeys. The church is mainly of later C12 date,the north and west walls rebuilt in the mid C14. The Cistercian type plan consists of a 4-bay aisled nave, north and south transepts each with 2 east chapels, and an aisless presbytery with C15 sacristy to south. The west range, mainly C14, altered in the C16, formerly the prior's lodgings with cellar below, and later a house, has, at north end lst-floor level a good fireplace with moulded jambs with capitals, crenellated mantel and tapering stone breast. West of this is a gateway with 2 cambered-headed entrances to north and south and the remains of timber studding on its west wall. Part of the south wall of the refectory stands with 2 tall, late C13 windows, of 2 and 3 lights, both with Geometric tracery. South of the reredorter is the well-preserved drainage system with splayed stone sides. A penstock controlled water, pumped from the priory mill ¼ mile away (q.v.), to flush the system.

 

The monastery of St. Mary Magdalen was founded c1154 for the Monks of the Order of Cluny and colonised from La Charité-sur-Loire. It became Benedictine in 1281. After the Dissolution in 1583 the priory passed through various hands until acquired by Barnsley Borough who, in 1932, placed the ruins in the care of the state. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

 

Dr. J. W. Walker, The Priory of St. Mary Magdalen, Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1926.

 

Rose Graham and R. Gilyard-Beer, Monk Bretton Priory, Yorkshire. D. of E. Official Handbook, 1966.

 

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

 

Listing NGR: SE3731006529

 

 

historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1151178

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

History of Monk Bretton Priory

 

The substantial ruins of Monk Bretton Priory, near Barnsley, are now edged by housing estates and industrial developments. When the monastery was built, however, the site in the wooded valley of the River Dearne was peaceful and remote.

 

Founded in about 1154 by a local landowner, Adam Fitzswaine, it was a daughter house of the rich Cluniac priory at Pontefract. But within 50 years bitter quarrels – at times even involving gang warfare – had broken out between the two houses, as Pontefract sought to retain direct control of Monk Bretton. The dispute was only resolved in 1281, when Monk Bretton seceded from the Cluniac Order and became a Benedictine house.

 

The later history of Monk Bretton was, in comparison, uneventful. The priory owned properties across South Yorkshire, with rights over five parish churches, and worked coal and ironstone in the Barnsley area. In 1295 it housed 13 monks and a prior; there was exactly the same number at its closure in November 1538 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

 

After 1538 the priory was swiftly plundered for usable building materials: the north aisle of the church, for example, was dismantled and reconstructed as the parish church of Wentworth (though this was itself demolished in the late 18th century). The bells and church plate were taken to London and melted down.

 

In 1589 the estate was bought by William Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, and the west range of the cloister was converted into a country house for his son Henry. The priory site changed hands several times over later centuries, before being placed in state guardianship in 1932.

 

Description

 

Little remains of the church, although there are several particularly fine examples of medieval grave slabs. Some of these still retain lead lettering set into the stone; others are decorated with beautifully incised crosses.

 

The cloister buildings are better preserved. They include the high south wall of the monks’ refectory, with its two great windows; parts of the chapterhouse; and the west range which is almost complete. This range shows extensive evidence of the conversion work undertaken in the 1580s. It was used as a residence until the late 19th century, which is how it survived.

 

Located beyond the cloister at the south-east corner of the site are the well-preserved drains that flushed the latrine block with running water brought from the River Dearne.

 

North-east of the church a large building of the late 13th century stands alone. It retains its medieval double-ridged roof, and, inside, tall octagonal pillars support the upper storey. The building was probably the courthouse and administrative building for the management of the priory estates.

 

The imposing priory gatehouse, which was built in the early 15th century, is still almost intact, although roofless.

 

 

www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/monk-bretton-pri...

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_Bretton_Priory

616 views
2 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on May 14, 2018
Taken on September 11, 2010