A Side Aspect of St Joseph's Catholic Church - Guys Road, Korumburra
Built on the summit of an undulating hill, St Joseph's Catholic Church overlooks the South Gippsland dairy farming town of Korumburra.
Approaching St Joseph's from the west up the hillside, you would never guess that this Inter-War Gothic style church was within the township, as it settles langidly behind a copse of trees on the hill's rise beyond a paddock of long sunburn grass.
St Joseph's Catholic Church has been built in the popular ecclesiastical and collegiate Inter-War Gothic style. Architects’ approach to this style was free rather than archaeological as in previous incarnations of the Gothic architecture style. Inter-War Gothic style also featured less complicated ornamentation than earlier periods, and mouldings and detailing of the style tend to have hard, mechanical qualities. Built of red brick, with stone detailing, it is a fine example of such architecture with its crenellated belfry elegant stone capped buttresses, parapeted gables and stone tracery. Built just after the Second World War began in 1939, a stone was blessed and laid by Daniel Mannix (1864 - 1963) the Archbishop of Melbourne on the 10th of December.
Korumburra is a medium-sized dairy and farming town in country Victoria, located on the South Gippsland Highway, 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. Surrounded by rolling green hills, the town has a population of a little over 4,000 people. Korumburra has built itself on coal mining (after the discovery of a coal seam in 1870), local forestry and dairy farming. Whilst the coal seam has been used up, farming in the area still thrives and a great deal of dairy produce is created from the area. The post office in the area opened on the 1st of September in 1884, and moved to the township on the railway survey line on the 1st of November 1889, the existing office being renamed Glentress. The steam railway connecting it with Melbourne arrived in 1891. Whilst the train line has long since operating commercially, it has found a new life as the popular tourist railway the South Gippsland Railway which operates a heritage railway service between the major country centre of Leongatha and the small market town of Nyora.
A Side Aspect of St Joseph's Catholic Church - Guys Road, Korumburra
Built on the summit of an undulating hill, St Joseph's Catholic Church overlooks the South Gippsland dairy farming town of Korumburra.
Approaching St Joseph's from the west up the hillside, you would never guess that this Inter-War Gothic style church was within the township, as it settles langidly behind a copse of trees on the hill's rise beyond a paddock of long sunburn grass.
St Joseph's Catholic Church has been built in the popular ecclesiastical and collegiate Inter-War Gothic style. Architects’ approach to this style was free rather than archaeological as in previous incarnations of the Gothic architecture style. Inter-War Gothic style also featured less complicated ornamentation than earlier periods, and mouldings and detailing of the style tend to have hard, mechanical qualities. Built of red brick, with stone detailing, it is a fine example of such architecture with its crenellated belfry elegant stone capped buttresses, parapeted gables and stone tracery. Built just after the Second World War began in 1939, a stone was blessed and laid by Daniel Mannix (1864 - 1963) the Archbishop of Melbourne on the 10th of December.
Korumburra is a medium-sized dairy and farming town in country Victoria, located on the South Gippsland Highway, 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. Surrounded by rolling green hills, the town has a population of a little over 4,000 people. Korumburra has built itself on coal mining (after the discovery of a coal seam in 1870), local forestry and dairy farming. Whilst the coal seam has been used up, farming in the area still thrives and a great deal of dairy produce is created from the area. The post office in the area opened on the 1st of September in 1884, and moved to the township on the railway survey line on the 1st of November 1889, the existing office being renamed Glentress. The steam railway connecting it with Melbourne arrived in 1891. Whilst the train line has long since operating commercially, it has found a new life as the popular tourist railway the South Gippsland Railway which operates a heritage railway service between the major country centre of Leongatha and the small market town of Nyora.