Angelo Bissessarsingh
St.Andrew's Anglican Church, Couva, Trinidad
Even though Trinidad became a British colony in 1797, the R.C church remained the state church because of the large percentage of the population (mainly French Creoles and their slaves) belonging to that denomination . During the tenure of Governor Ralph Woodford (1815-28) vigorous efforts were made to firmly establish the Church of England in the island. The first Anglican church occupied Brunswick (now Woodford) square from 1804, but was hastily replaced by the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity which was consecrated in 1823.
Other chapels were established tenuously throughout the island, including St. Andrew’s at Couva which was extant by 1826. Couva , a rich sugar district, had a fair population of English and Scottish plantocracy. The chapel was expanded in 1844. In 1883, the Rev. H.M Skinner rebuilt the old church which had become termite ridden. This new church was designed to accommodate 300 people and was tastefully constructed in cedar, with stained glass windows by Wailes and Strong of Newcastle. Rev. Skinner’s chapel served the district until 2000 when it was replaced by this modern, yet tasteful structure. The main part of the church, its aisles, sanctuary and transept pay homage to the original design of the wooden church with its peaked roof and gothic windows. The belfry tower, with its Norman battlements and steeple are a recent, yet not incongruous addition, as is the wheelchair ramp. The whole structure is reminiscent of an English countryside chapel. The tower is decorated with a metal relief sculpture of Jesus. During renovations in 2000, part of the cemetery was sacrificed to make way for a car park. The grave markers were removed, but the names of the deceased were recorded and inscribed on a marble memorial wall inside the church. The cemetery itself contains many interesting 19th and early 20th century graves , including some magnificent marble statuary, which has equal nowhere else in Trinidad.
St.Andrew's Anglican Church, Couva, Trinidad
Even though Trinidad became a British colony in 1797, the R.C church remained the state church because of the large percentage of the population (mainly French Creoles and their slaves) belonging to that denomination . During the tenure of Governor Ralph Woodford (1815-28) vigorous efforts were made to firmly establish the Church of England in the island. The first Anglican church occupied Brunswick (now Woodford) square from 1804, but was hastily replaced by the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity which was consecrated in 1823.
Other chapels were established tenuously throughout the island, including St. Andrew’s at Couva which was extant by 1826. Couva , a rich sugar district, had a fair population of English and Scottish plantocracy. The chapel was expanded in 1844. In 1883, the Rev. H.M Skinner rebuilt the old church which had become termite ridden. This new church was designed to accommodate 300 people and was tastefully constructed in cedar, with stained glass windows by Wailes and Strong of Newcastle. Rev. Skinner’s chapel served the district until 2000 when it was replaced by this modern, yet tasteful structure. The main part of the church, its aisles, sanctuary and transept pay homage to the original design of the wooden church with its peaked roof and gothic windows. The belfry tower, with its Norman battlements and steeple are a recent, yet not incongruous addition, as is the wheelchair ramp. The whole structure is reminiscent of an English countryside chapel. The tower is decorated with a metal relief sculpture of Jesus. During renovations in 2000, part of the cemetery was sacrificed to make way for a car park. The grave markers were removed, but the names of the deceased were recorded and inscribed on a marble memorial wall inside the church. The cemetery itself contains many interesting 19th and early 20th century graves , including some magnificent marble statuary, which has equal nowhere else in Trinidad.