♫ Claire ♫
ROD 5322 at Eynsham station
The main demonstration line at Didcot runs the entire length of the Centre, a distance of nearly half a mile.
Starting adjacent to the entrance, it runs along the Centre's eastern boundary, paralleling Network Rail's 'east curve'.
Eynsham station platform opposite the Railway Centre entrance is of a prefabricated concrete construction, using sections recovered from Eynsham station. These are complemented by a replica Great Western style waiting room.
During the Great War, 5322 was one of twenty GWR 2-6-0s built in Swindon in 1917 and sent when new to France. This was in response to a call from the army in the summer of 1917 for the British railways to supply a further 160 locomotives to help with transporting supplies from the Channel ports to the front line.
Demobbed in 1919 at Chester, it was withdrawn from Pontypool Road depot in April 1964. Miraculously, as the sole surviving early 43xx sent to Woodham Bros of Barry that avoided the cutter's torch, this gem was spotted there, and by 1969, after considerable persuasion need to secure its release, it was acquired by a Society member. The first ex-Great Western locomotive to leave the scrapyard for preservation, it was towed to Caerphilly in 1969. There, a small but devoted band of members of the Society's South Wales Group restored it, in the open, to working order.
The move to Didcot took place in 1973, she continued to be used on open days until around 1975 when she was stopped for various reasons. The owner at that time believed that items of historical value should not be restored, but maintained in the condition they are in. This meant that the engine stood as it was, static display only. It then passed into the ownership of the Society, this done a fund was started to restore the engine. Thus since the early 90s various bits have been overhauled, the cab was completely refurbished, the wheels and motion have been tended to, the boiler has been removed and the tender stripped down. Slowly the engine was returned to its 1919 appearance until she was finally ready to return to traffic in November 2008.
ROD 5322 at Eynsham station
The main demonstration line at Didcot runs the entire length of the Centre, a distance of nearly half a mile.
Starting adjacent to the entrance, it runs along the Centre's eastern boundary, paralleling Network Rail's 'east curve'.
Eynsham station platform opposite the Railway Centre entrance is of a prefabricated concrete construction, using sections recovered from Eynsham station. These are complemented by a replica Great Western style waiting room.
During the Great War, 5322 was one of twenty GWR 2-6-0s built in Swindon in 1917 and sent when new to France. This was in response to a call from the army in the summer of 1917 for the British railways to supply a further 160 locomotives to help with transporting supplies from the Channel ports to the front line.
Demobbed in 1919 at Chester, it was withdrawn from Pontypool Road depot in April 1964. Miraculously, as the sole surviving early 43xx sent to Woodham Bros of Barry that avoided the cutter's torch, this gem was spotted there, and by 1969, after considerable persuasion need to secure its release, it was acquired by a Society member. The first ex-Great Western locomotive to leave the scrapyard for preservation, it was towed to Caerphilly in 1969. There, a small but devoted band of members of the Society's South Wales Group restored it, in the open, to working order.
The move to Didcot took place in 1973, she continued to be used on open days until around 1975 when she was stopped for various reasons. The owner at that time believed that items of historical value should not be restored, but maintained in the condition they are in. This meant that the engine stood as it was, static display only. It then passed into the ownership of the Society, this done a fund was started to restore the engine. Thus since the early 90s various bits have been overhauled, the cab was completely refurbished, the wheels and motion have been tended to, the boiler has been removed and the tender stripped down. Slowly the engine was returned to its 1919 appearance until she was finally ready to return to traffic in November 2008.