Back to photostream

[104558] St John (RC), Bath : Reliquary

St John the Evangelist (RC), South Parade, Bath, 1861-63.

By Charles Francis Hansom (1817-1888).

Tower and spire added 1867.

Grade ll* listed.

Reliquary - relics of St Justina within a shrine designed by Edward Hansom (1842-1900) in 1871.

 

Founded as an off-shoot of Downside Abbey by Father Worsley, this church replaced the inadequate chapel in Corn Street. The site was acquired from Earl Manvers and a pleasure ground formerly occupied the space to the west now occupied by a car park. The tower initially finished at the arcaded parapet level. The spire, when added in 1867, transformed the Bath skyline and the entire church forms a notable example of revived Catholic, and Gothic, confidence. Charles Hansom considered it to be one of his best works.

193 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on December 23, 2021
Taken on May 27, 2009