Fort Herkimer Church - Town of German Flatts, NY
Fort Herkimer Church and Cemetery. The church is owned by the Montgomery Classis of the Reformed Church in America. It is now used by all people for various religious, patriotic and family services. The most notable of these events is the annual interreligious Thanksgiving Day service which attracts hundreds of worshippers. Now a little bit of history: Built of native limestone, this church is one of the oldest churches in New York State and the oldest building in Herkimer County. The construction of the original one-story church was begun in 1753. Because of the onset of the French and Indian War, the church was fortified with over 30 gunports and with buttresses projecting from each of the four corners. The church was finally completed in 1767. Between 1812 and 1814 the church was extensively renovated. Its height was raised 25 feet and a gallery was put in on three sides. An entrance and storm shelter were placed on the west end and the original entrance was closed. Inside a gallery was installed at the second floor level and the high pulpit was moved to the east side of the sanctuary. As the congregation began to shrink, even before the Civil War, the gallery was closed off and a ceiling installed beneath it to improve heating. In 1976 after years of neglect and deterioration, a major restoration and stabilization of the church was begun. The ceiling under the gallery was removed and the gallery was returned to its 1812 appearance. This restoration continues today as funds become available. It is located 2 miles east of Mohawk, NY, along Route 5s in the Town of German Flatts, NY. (LF 221)
Fort Herkimer Church - Town of German Flatts, NY
Fort Herkimer Church and Cemetery. The church is owned by the Montgomery Classis of the Reformed Church in America. It is now used by all people for various religious, patriotic and family services. The most notable of these events is the annual interreligious Thanksgiving Day service which attracts hundreds of worshippers. Now a little bit of history: Built of native limestone, this church is one of the oldest churches in New York State and the oldest building in Herkimer County. The construction of the original one-story church was begun in 1753. Because of the onset of the French and Indian War, the church was fortified with over 30 gunports and with buttresses projecting from each of the four corners. The church was finally completed in 1767. Between 1812 and 1814 the church was extensively renovated. Its height was raised 25 feet and a gallery was put in on three sides. An entrance and storm shelter were placed on the west end and the original entrance was closed. Inside a gallery was installed at the second floor level and the high pulpit was moved to the east side of the sanctuary. As the congregation began to shrink, even before the Civil War, the gallery was closed off and a ceiling installed beneath it to improve heating. In 1976 after years of neglect and deterioration, a major restoration and stabilization of the church was begun. The ceiling under the gallery was removed and the gallery was returned to its 1812 appearance. This restoration continues today as funds become available. It is located 2 miles east of Mohawk, NY, along Route 5s in the Town of German Flatts, NY. (LF 221)