Fire Station HQ, Savannah, GA (2)
**Savannah Historic District** - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 66000277, date listed 11/13/1966
Bounded by E. Broad, Gwinnett, and W. Broad Sts. and the Savannah River
Savannah, GA (Chatham County)
A National Historic Landmark (www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalhistoriclandmarks/list-of-nh...).
Savannah is unusual because of its physical plan. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia, was responsible for this innovation in urban design. Savannah was laid out in 1733 as a square of four wards, two of which fronted on the Savannah River. In the center of each ward was an open square.
The present historic district encompasses approximately two square miles and contains about 1,100 noteworthy buildings. (1)
See map pg 115. (1)
A classically designed red brick firehouse with regularly spaced semi-circular arched windows with stone voussoirs on the second and third floors. Parapet and tapered piers are topped by Deco style granite caps.
Fire Headquarters erected in 1937 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Docket Number Georgia 1084-D. Chief engineer was John H. Monroe; Architect was Walter P. Marshall, AIA. The building was constructed by the local firm of Artley Company Contractors. Will H. Artley, principal of the construction firm, was head of the federal relief program in Chatham County. (pg 118) (1)
References (1) NRHP Nomination Form npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/559b15da-c16f-4326-a644-f3ebf6...
Fire Station HQ, Savannah, GA (2)
**Savannah Historic District** - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 66000277, date listed 11/13/1966
Bounded by E. Broad, Gwinnett, and W. Broad Sts. and the Savannah River
Savannah, GA (Chatham County)
A National Historic Landmark (www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalhistoriclandmarks/list-of-nh...).
Savannah is unusual because of its physical plan. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia, was responsible for this innovation in urban design. Savannah was laid out in 1733 as a square of four wards, two of which fronted on the Savannah River. In the center of each ward was an open square.
The present historic district encompasses approximately two square miles and contains about 1,100 noteworthy buildings. (1)
See map pg 115. (1)
A classically designed red brick firehouse with regularly spaced semi-circular arched windows with stone voussoirs on the second and third floors. Parapet and tapered piers are topped by Deco style granite caps.
Fire Headquarters erected in 1937 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Docket Number Georgia 1084-D. Chief engineer was John H. Monroe; Architect was Walter P. Marshall, AIA. The building was constructed by the local firm of Artley Company Contractors. Will H. Artley, principal of the construction firm, was head of the federal relief program in Chatham County. (pg 118) (1)
References (1) NRHP Nomination Form npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/559b15da-c16f-4326-a644-f3ebf6...