Talbot County Confederate Monument, Easton, MD
**Easton Historic District** - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 80001835, date listed 19800917
MD 565, MD 328 and MD 331
Easton, MD (Talbot County)
Easton was founded in 1710 for the purpose of establishing a new seat for Talbot County after huge portions of the county were broken away to form Queen Anne's and Caroline Counties and the old county seat at York was no longer centrally located. Until this time no town existed in the area although a Quaker group had erected the Third Haven Meeting House (included in the Easton Historic District) in the late 17th century. The status of county seat was reaffirmed in 1788 by another legislature act which also incorporated the town, under the name of Easton.
The Easton Historic District is an urban district that covers most of the core of Easton, a town on the Maryland Eastern Shore that has a population of about 7,000. The district contains approximately 900 buildings and structures arranged along a grid pattern of streets and alleys and is primarily residential with the Central Business District located in the western section near the Talbot County Courthouse on Washington Street. (1)
The Confederate Monument in Easton stands in the landscaped green south of the brick walk in front of the Talbot County Courthouse. The life-sized sheet copper statue of a color bearer faces east from atop a granite pedestal. The young soldier stands with chin up, hat tipped back, holding a Confederate flag at his left side with both hands, his right arm across his chest. The flag unfurls behind his back and around to his right. The figure stands on a wagon wheel and wears a C. S. A. belt buckle.
The monument was sponsored by a committee formed in 1913, chaired by Gen. Joseph B. Stein. After consideration of a statue of local Adm. Franklin Buchanan, it was agreed to honor "all the boys in gray." The base was erected in July 1914; the statue was dedicated in June, 1916. Efforts in 1914 to raise funds for a Union monument were unsuccessful. (2)
References (1) NRHP Nomination Form npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/80001835.pdf
(2) MD Historical Trust mht.maryland.gov/secure/medusa/pdf/talbot/t-934.pdf
Talbot County Confederate Monument, Easton, MD
**Easton Historic District** - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 80001835, date listed 19800917
MD 565, MD 328 and MD 331
Easton, MD (Talbot County)
Easton was founded in 1710 for the purpose of establishing a new seat for Talbot County after huge portions of the county were broken away to form Queen Anne's and Caroline Counties and the old county seat at York was no longer centrally located. Until this time no town existed in the area although a Quaker group had erected the Third Haven Meeting House (included in the Easton Historic District) in the late 17th century. The status of county seat was reaffirmed in 1788 by another legislature act which also incorporated the town, under the name of Easton.
The Easton Historic District is an urban district that covers most of the core of Easton, a town on the Maryland Eastern Shore that has a population of about 7,000. The district contains approximately 900 buildings and structures arranged along a grid pattern of streets and alleys and is primarily residential with the Central Business District located in the western section near the Talbot County Courthouse on Washington Street. (1)
The Confederate Monument in Easton stands in the landscaped green south of the brick walk in front of the Talbot County Courthouse. The life-sized sheet copper statue of a color bearer faces east from atop a granite pedestal. The young soldier stands with chin up, hat tipped back, holding a Confederate flag at his left side with both hands, his right arm across his chest. The flag unfurls behind his back and around to his right. The figure stands on a wagon wheel and wears a C. S. A. belt buckle.
The monument was sponsored by a committee formed in 1913, chaired by Gen. Joseph B. Stein. After consideration of a statue of local Adm. Franklin Buchanan, it was agreed to honor "all the boys in gray." The base was erected in July 1914; the statue was dedicated in June, 1916. Efforts in 1914 to raise funds for a Union monument were unsuccessful. (2)
References (1) NRHP Nomination Form npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/80001835.pdf
(2) MD Historical Trust mht.maryland.gov/secure/medusa/pdf/talbot/t-934.pdf