Back to photostream

Side view of the Mylor Cotton Memorial Institute built 1922–1923, Adelaide Hills, South Australia

The Cotton Memorial Institute Hall of Mylor

 

The original hall at Mylor was stringy bark and corrugated iron built on land donated by George Witherage Cotton. Born in Kent, England, Cotton arrived in South Australia in 1848. He became a land agent and politician, working tirelessly for the system known as the “Working Men’s Blocks” scheme, whereby the Government of the day offered, at low rent, small parcels of land up to 8ha to working men. Cotton was known as the “Blocker’s Friend”. By 1896 about 12,900 people, lived on such blocks in Adelaide’s suburbs and at country towns such as Mylor.

 

After Cotton died, it was decided to erect a hall in honour at Mylor.

 

Mylor, the leading blocker’s town of South Australia, was en fete on 13 February on the occasion of the opening of its Institute Hall by His Excellency the Governor, Sir Fowell Buxton KCMG.

His Excellency drove from Marble Hill to Mount Lofty Railway Station, where the Ministers and party were awaiting his arrival. The Treasurer and the members drove up from the city. Others took the 10.20 train from Adelaide, while Dr. Cockburn drove across from Mount Barker

 

A drive round the hills brought the party to Scott's Creek, a number of blocks being passed en route. His Excellency, accompanied by the majority of his companions, left the vehicles at Mr. Acland's, a blocker who has a very comfortable place. They received a cordial welcome, the lady of the house producing delicious peaches, apples, and other samples of the fruit which is grown on land which a few years since produced nothing but the eucalyptus. The Scott's Creek School was visited.

 

Thenceforth climbing the heights and getting down on the other side over rough and deep rutty narrow roads was somewhat perilous. More than once the travellers had very narrow escape from accident, but expert handling of the reins carried them safely through. These half-made tracks were certainly never meant for vehicles of the description in which half of the party were driven.

 

Sir Fowell left the vehicle whenever there was a halt, and on one occasion he walked a considerable distance over the rough country that he might enter the houses and talk with the inhabitants. Leaving Leslie's Creek the travellers eventually got to the Old Echunga road. Campbell Cottage and Glen Cotton were personally inspected, and after more rough riding through Aldgate Valley. Mylor was reach at 2.30pm. His Excellency visited the public school and the children granted a half-holiday the next day.

His Excellency, Captain Guise, and Dr. Campbell then proceeded to Warrakilla, the residence of Mr. G. W. Goyder, with whom they lunched, while the rest of the Adelaide visitors sat down to a very acceptable luncheon provided in the Institute by a number of the ladies.

 

The Cotton Memorial Institute formally opened after 4pm. The building, which is only a temporary one, has been erected by subscription. It is of wood and iron, which can be utilized for the permanent structure later. It is 30ft x 20ft.

[Ref: Mylor History Group and the Advertiser 15-2-1896]

 

In 1922 a new hall was constructed of local stone on the same site by local builder Eusebius Wilson Jnr., who had built a number of homes and other buildings in Mylor. The hall foundation stone was laid 24 June 1922 by Sir John Langdon Bonython KCMG.

The committee then entertained Sir Langdon Bonython at afternoon tea. Later a public tea was held and was well patronised. In the evening a concert was given to a packed house.

 

Interesting memories of early days of the movement were recalled at Mylor on Saturday [27 January] when the new Institute, to be known as the Mylor Cotton Memorial Hall, was opened by Mr C H Cotton, a son of the founder of the settlement.

 

Mr L Meredith (president of the institute committee) said the fine new hall had been built on the site of the temporary building which had served the needs of the district so long. With his friends and neighbours he had striven hard to obtain an adequate building.

 

Ten years ago they had organised working bees to clear the land surrounding the old Institute, and it had been intended then to proceed with the erection of the new building. The war, however, had driven the project into the background. The people had therefore lent all their energies to patriotic purposes. The honour roll that hung on the wall testified to the patriotism of the district, for it contained the names of 47 soldiers and two nurses, a number of whom had made the supreme sacrifice.

[Ref: Chronicle 1-7-1922 and the Advertiser 29-1-1923]

 

 

 

1,301 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on June 11, 2018
Taken on June 3, 2018