Back to photostream

St John's School, 1847

We are back in Ross in the Midlands of Tasmania today. This historic town has strong Scottish roots, that go back to when Gov. Lachlan Macquarie named it in 1811.

 

In 1835 the St John's Church of England was built, but it was built on less than secure foundations and eventually had to be demolished. Tomorrow we'll have a look at its beautiful replacement building dating from 1868.

 

By 1847 the St John's Church decided to to build a school house for the growing number of children in the area. This is the result. Unfortunately the building problems that struck the original church were also here too. Eventually the stones had to come down, foundations replaced, and a complete rebuild in 1902 by Richards Brothers Builders.

1,618 views
32 faves
18 comments
Uploaded on September 6, 2020
Taken on July 23, 2020