Back to gallery

London - 2 Jun - Covent Garden Market Building Segar & Snuff Parlour

“For 150 years, our passion has been for great food, service and above all, wine.

Founded in 1870, we remain a fully independent, family business, which now spans five generations…”

For information about each generation see here: www.davy.co.uk/about-davys/

 

In 1828, Whig politician John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford, flush with money from the sale of land near The Strand, petitioned for a government bill “for the improvement and regulation of Covent Garden Market”. This allowed him to commission Charles Fowler to build a neo-classical market building. The market opened in May 1830 with clear designated spaces for each trader. Simplifying this process meant the Duke could start collecting the rent himself. It was, oddly, a place where high society could intermingle with ordinary Londoners, farmers, and flower sellers.

This is the market building we can still see in the piazza today and while we may think it looks impressive at the time it was considered to be quite unadorned and functional.

 

It was a popular market and it kept on growing, spilling outward from Covent Garden’s square. The market was further expanded into five main areas: Russell Street, the Row, Flower Market, Charter Market and Flower Hall. The Dukes of Bedford sold their interest in the market in 1918.

By the 1930s, there were over 2000 porters in the market who would carry baskets piled up high on their heads as high as lamp posts. It has been said that the champion could carry 25 stacked baskets.

 

In 1960, it was decided that the run-down market needed to move and the Covent Garden Market Bill was passed in 1961. The fruit and veg market moved across the river to Nine Elms, near Vauxhall, by 1974.

278 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on July 31, 2021
Taken on June 2, 2021